About Old Mutual
Established in 1845 in Cape Town, Old Mutual is South Africa’s reputed financial services company that offers an extensive range of financial solutions to corporate and retail clients. Their main objective is to help society and communities achieve their financial goals, invest their funds smartly and build a positive future for themselves and their families.
Old Mutual runs in 14 countries across Asia and Africa and employs more than 30 000 people.
Old Mutual Accounting Bursary
One of the significant ways to contribute to the country’s development and growth is by guiding the future generation of Accountants.
Old Mutual invites young financial students and those passionate about choosing a Chartered Accounting career to apply for the Old Mutual Accounting Bursary.
The Old Mutual Accounting Bursary covers the following:
- Residence fees
- Tuition fees
- Books, study materials, meals, and general allowance
- A broad exposure to all spheres of finance as elucidated by SAICA
- Exposure to accounting, financial management, risk management, external reporting, management decision-making and control, taxation, and governance.
- Support of qualified experts, mentors, and supervisors throughout the years of your degree
- Vacation work to earn some experience
- Students who achieve excellent grades will get more incentives
The bursary will offer costs of tuition at the following Universities:
- University of Cape Town
- Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University
- North-West University
- University of Free State
- University of Fort Hare
- Rhodes University
- University of Pretoria
- University of Johannesburg
- University of Western Cape
- University of the Witwatersrand
- University of Kwazulu-Natal
- University of South Africa (UNISA)
- University of Stellenbosch
The bursary will also provide 1 annual return flight home for all students away from their hometowns.
Students willing to apply for the Old Mutual Accounting Bursary must abide by the following criteria:
- Must be a South African citizen
- You must currently in your Matric studies or have completed Matric
- Must have passed matric with a minimum of 70% or Level 6 in all subjects, especially English and Maths (not Maths Literacy)
- Must apply at or already studying at one of the Universities listed above
- Must be willing to commit to Old Mutual’s CA Training Programme, after which the applicant will work for Old Mutual.
- Your age must be under 21 years
- Must NOT have a post-matric qualification
- Strong mathematical skills
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Eagerness to learn
- Goal and result oriented
- Leadership qualities
- Creative mind, logical thinking
- Commitment and Self-motivation
- Good communication skills (spoken and written)
- Good decision-making and judgment skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Business awareness and interest
- Time management and organizational skills
- If the applicant is under 18, guardian/parental consent is required
- Applicants from under-represented designated groups including the disabled will be given preference
- Applicants from previously disadvantaged backgrounds or those with financial needs will be given preference.
How to Apply?
Download and fill up the following bursary motivation form and then complete the online application. The application also includes a gamified assessment.
Step 1: complete the Old Mutual Bursary Motivation Form (.pdf)
Step 2: complete the Old Mutual Accounting Science Bursary Online Application 2024 (Reference: JR-38156), which includes a gamified assessment.
Step 3: submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application (the submission of these documents is compulsory – if any items are missing, your application may be disqualified):
- One-page CV (refer to these examples)
- School results for Grades 10, 11 and 12
- If applicable, Matric Certificate
- If applicable, proof of acceptance at the University/conditional acceptance letter
- ID copy
- Head and Shoulders Photo
- If applicable, NBT Statement
- Full Academic Transcript (applicable to only current University students)
Note: Incomplete application form or missing documents will result in your application being rejected.
Bursary Selection Process
- Selected applicants will get a link to complete psychometric assessments
- Final candidates will get an invitation to a selection day where interviews will be held
- If you crack the interview, you will get a provisional offer confirmed after Old Mutual receives your final Matric result and proof of acceptance at the University for an Accounting Science program.
The last date for submission of the application is 31 July 2023 (23:59).
For any queries related to the Old Mutual Accounting Bursary, contact the following:
Old Mutual Early Careers team email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/