HORTGRO started way back in 1652 when the first apple seeds were planted in the Cape of Good Hope. This gradually started the experimentation of other fruits by the farmers which are also sold to passing ships.
HORTGRO was established through the support needs of the fruit producers and farmers. HORTGRO focuses on production, research and technology, communication, markets and transformation of the fruit industry.
HORTGRO bursary programme started 14 years ago and has invested around R35 million for the program in order to contribute to a sustainable agricultural workforce. This is made possible by funds from HORTGRO as well as AgriSETA and Deciduous Fruit Industry Development Trust.
HORTGRO currently funds 68 students, of which 27 are undergraduate students and 41 are postgraduate students studying towards a degree in Agriculture, Agricultural Economics and Business Management. These students are enrolled at accredited institutions in South Africa such as University of Pretoria, Elsenburg Agricultural Training Institute, University of Limpopo, University of the Free State, Cape Town University of Technology and Stellenbosch University.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizens
- Registered student at a recognized educational institution
- Undergraduate or postgraduate students of Agriculture, Agricultural Economics and Business Management fields
- Excellent academic performance
- Proven financial need
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the HORTGRO Bursary Application Form.
- Accompany your application form with the certified copies of the following documents:
- South African ID
- Proof of registration to the preferred course at an accredited institution
- Most recent academic progress report or Matric certificate
- Previous 3 progress reports, for applicants currently studying
- Parent/guardian’s signature and consent letter, for applicants under 21 years old
- Proof of the cost of the course, the books and the accommodation
- Parent/guardian proof of income
- Parent/guardian ID
- Send completed application form and required documents to: HORTGRO, PO Box 163 Paarl 7620, or deliver to 258 Main Road, Paarl 7646.
Opening and Closing Date
Usually, HORTGRO bursary application process starts in the middle of May (15 May) for the next academic years. And the application process ends in the middle of August (15 August) every year.
Address: 258 Main St, Paarl, 7646
Tel: 27 (0)21 870 2900
Fax: (888) 755-7585
Email: [email protected]