About South African Nursery Association
The South African Nursery Association (SANA) is was founded in 1947 and is a non-profit organization that serves as a networking platform to represent the concerns of the Green Industry. The association also aims to promote National and Regional Nursery issues. SANA also represents individual related associations such as Allied, Bulb & Seed Trade Association (ABSTA), Bedding Plant Growers Association (BPGA), Garden Centre Association (GCA) and the Growers Association.
ABSTA is a group of all the suppliers of planting utilities material such as pots, fertilizers, water features, ceramics, pesticides, seed etc. BPGA is an organization of professional bedding plant growers that has launched a trademark called “Flowering Favourites”, the association’s print media marketing in various forms of publications. GCA is a group representing retailers and sellers of plant and plant-related products which have branches in Cape, Central, Gauteng and Tshwane. Growers Association was created to administer its members growing operations are coordinated, professional, responsible and profitable so as to contribute to the growth of the Green Industry as a whole.
South African Nursery Association Bursaries 2021
The South African Nursery Association invites all qualified candidates for the bursaries to be awarded to students who have an interest in pursuing a career in the Horticulture related area and who have successfully completed all modules of their first Academic year of study.
PhD, Masters and BTech students may also apply for the bursary. Those applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Please note that the bursary will not pay for any remaining fees from the previous academic period. Registration fees, practical training, accommodation, travel, allowances, and prescribed books are also not covered in the bursary fund.
All students will have to ensure they are fully registered with the institution before the bursary can be awarded.
Only students who are currently enrolled in a tertiary institution may apply for the SANA Student Membership. Your membership is valid for one year only, thus if you wish to remain a SANA Student, please reapply for SANA Student Membership each academic year.
SANA Student Membership Benefits:
- Membership is free of charge.
- Regular communication to members through electronic newsletters covering matters relating to industry, important dates and more.
- Receive a digital copy of the annual SANA Magazine.
- Be invited as a visitor to the rapidly growing SANA TRADE FAIRS held in Gauteng (twice a year) and KZN, where you will have an unobstructed view of how the nursery industry operates.
South African Nursery Association Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizen
- Must have at least 60% average on per subject
- Students of BSc, BSc (Hons) MSc, Ph.D Agric degrees, National Diploma or Higher Diploma in Horticultural Science / Horticulture or Landscaping
- Completed and passed 3 first academic year subjects and have an average of over 60% per subject
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete these application forms:
- Submit the copies of the following document together with the application forms included above:
- A certified copy of your ID
- A photograph of yourself (portrait photograph, student card photo or selfie.)
- Academic record
- Institution’s banking details
- Motivational letter – minimum 150 words, must answer the following questions (How do you see your career in the green industry developing?, Have you done any community volunteer work?, If so, where and for how long and what was your experience of it?, Have you been involved in the horticultural industry? If so, were you a volunteer or employed and what were the main lessons learned through that experience? Have you visited any nurseries? If so, where and what would you say was the most impressionable? What is the distance to your nearest nursery and what is it called?
NB: By not giving a comprehensive motivation your application may not be considered.
- Applications must be submitted in one of the following ways:
Fax at: 086 580 9793
(Applications must state “SANA Bursary Application – Your Full Name” in the email subject line)
16 April 2020
For more information, please contact Elana Boshoff, Bursary Administrator on: email@example.com