Promoting agriculture and encouraging the young population to take an active part in this field can help a nation to bring about the desired transformation in the agricultural sector. By providing the necessary help to the interested individuals many organizations in South Africa are striving to do their part.
The Sorghum Trust scholarship program is one such program in South Africa that is aimed towards uplifting the field of agriculture. It encourages the young and interested individuals to pursue studies in the field of agriculture especially the study of Sorghum and its impact on agriculture.
About the Sorghum Trust
The Sorghum trust was formed with an aim to provide financial assistance to organizations and help them to carry out research about South African agriculture, collect such information, and spread it to transform the agricultural sector.
To help organizations to cope up with the changing trends in the agricultural sector the Sorghum trust attempts to educate, equip, and assist those individuals who have an undying passion for agriculture and who have the potential to make an impact within the agricultural industry.
Sorghum Trust Scholarship Program 2023
The Sorghum postgraduate scholarship program is designed for those students who wish to pursue Master’s or Doctoral studies in the fields that are specified by the Sorghum Trust.
The following fields are relevant to the Sorghum industry in South Africa.
- Agricultural Economics
- Agricultural Engineering
- Agricultural Meteorology
- Data Science
- Demand Planner
- Agricultural Writers
- Conservation Agriculture
- Food Sciences
- Weed Science
- Soil Science
- Plant Virology
- Plant Physiology
- Plant Breeding
- Plant Entomology
- Pasture Science
- Plant Nematology
- Other related fields
The Sorghum scholarship is granted to 2 students for a value of R30 000 each. Students will receive funding based on the academic reports and performance of the students. The first installment of the scholarship will be provided in January 2023.
Scholarship Eligibility Criteria
Those applying for the Sorghum postgraduate scholarship must meet the following requirements:
- One should be a citizen of South Africa
- Students should enroll for studying full-time with an institution
- Only those students who want to study for Master’s and Doctoral are eligible
- Students must have completed Matric
- You must be willing to conduct a thesis on a topic approved by the trust
- You must agree to the legal undertaking (section E)on the application form
- One must read and agree to the terms, conditions, policies, and procedures of the Sorghum trust.
- Students must be willing to work within the Sorghum industry in South Africa after the completion of the studies
How to apply?
Students can apply for the Sorghum scholarship online. Click here to start the application: : Sorghum Trust Scholarship Application
One should also submit copies of documents as required by the trust. If any application is not accompanied by all the documents it will be disqualified and the applicant will not be considered eligible for the scholarship.
- Color ID photo
- Certified copy of ID document/passport not older than 3 months
- A motivational letter should be submitted by students giving details about the educational abilities, future goals, and financial needs
- Latest tertiary academic record on the institution letterhead
- In-depth information about the proposed research like research work title, description of the research, Gantt chart, etc.
- Curriculum Vitae
- One must submit details of the tertiary registration along with a fee statement on the institution letterhead
- The amount to be granted under the scholarship program will be decided by the trust
- Students are required to work for the South African Sorghum industry equivalent to a period of the scholarship availed
- Only those applications will be accepted that are submitted before the closing date
- Shortlisted candidates will have to give a telephonic interview
- The outcome will be communicated to the students within 8 weeks of the closing date
The last date of application is 30 September 2022
For queries related to the scholarship, students should contact the trust at the following:
Phone: + 27 (0)12807-3958
One can also contact the Sorghum trust through their contact form.
Please do NOT contact The Sorghum Trust if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/