South African Reserve Bank Bursaries
The South African Reserve Bank (the Bank) offers bursaries to students from a disadvantaged background, who wish to pursue studies in fields that are relevant to the banking industry. These fields include Economics, Information Technology, Finance, Actuarial Sciences, Mathematical Statistics, Law and Accounting. The bursary scheme was established as a solution to address the shortage of skills in South Africa.
The bursary covers one-off payment for books, accommodation (university accommodation only) and tuition fees, which will be made payable to the student. It will be reviewed every academic year depending on the bursary holder’s results, however, they don’t need to reapply for the bursary renewal. All bursary holders are required to submit their examination results before December 31 of each year.
SARB also provides vacation work opportunities for the bursary holders. Upon completion of studies, bursary holders will also be required to work for SARB for a period equivalent to the bursary duration, otherwise, full payment of the bursary must be refunded to SARB.
About South African Reserve Bank
The South African Reserve Bank (SARB) was founded in 1921 and is the central bank of South Africa. SARB’s main purpose is to maintain price stability for sustainable economic growth as well as financial stability in South Africa. The bank’s responsibility includes formulation and implementation of monetary policy, banknotes issuance, supervision of the banking industry, assurance of national payment system functions, management of fold and foreign exchange reserves, acting as government banker, administration of country’s exchanges and acting as last resort lender.
SARB Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Minimum 60% rating in the June Matric/Grade 12 examinations
- South African university acceptance
- South African citizens
- 30 years old and below
- At least 70% average
How to Apply and Application Details
Applications can be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Online at: http://careerwise.co.za/applications/registrations/. (Promo code: SARB2021)
- Download and complete the SARB Bursary Application Form (pdf) or contact SARB-Bursaryapplications@resbank.co.za to acquire the latest application form.
Submit certified copies of the following documents:
- June (current year) matric results or Matric results if completed before the current year
- Matric certificate, if completed Matric (certified copy)
- Proof of acceptance at an accredited institution
- Essay of 250 words to motivate your case
- South African ID
Application form and complete documents should be submitted through either of the following methods:
- Post: Mr. John Legoete, P.O. Box 30632 BRAAMFONTEIN 2017
- Fax: 086 609 7183
- Email: email@example.com / SARB-Bursaryapplications@resbank.co.za
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted. If you have not received any response within one month after the application deadline, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
Closing Date 30 September annually
Mr John Legoete
Post: P.O. Box 30632 BRAAMFONTEIN 2017
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / SARB-Bursaryapplications@resbank.co.za