ABSIP or The Association of Black Securities and Investment Professionals was formed to help combat the dearth of black professionals in the investment finance and securities sector, in addition to making a positive contribution to the economy.
ABSIP, which was established in 1995, is one of the leading forces behind the transformation of the financial sector as it is affiliated with the Black Business Council (BBC).
ABSIP’s membership includes both professionals with little experience in Financial Services as well as those with decades of experience. A wide range of sub-sectors are included in the companies’ membership including: Private Banking, Corporate Banking, Investment Banking, Retail Banking, Insurance, Asset Management, Corporate Finance, Employee Benefits, Private Equity, Stock Broking, Treasury and Development Finance Institutions (DFIs), and Financial and Corporate Managerial Consulting.
ABSIP Bursary Programme 2023
Applications are invited by The ABSIP National Executive Committee from the interested candidates to apply for the SABSIP Bursary Programme for the upcoming academic year.
STANLIB, in partnership with ABSIP, is offering comprehensive funding support to historically disadvantaged students, as defined by the B-BBEE Act, studying towards a career in Investment Management.
Students pursuing the following studies will be given preference to:
- Bachelor of Science (BSc)
- Bachelor of Commerce (BCom)
- Bachelor of Business Science (BBusSc)
With subjects in:
- Business Finance
- Investment Management
- Financial Analysis
- Mathematics and Statistics
The bursary covers the following expenses: stipend, tuition fees, accommodation, book allowance (course material /textbooks), laptop and a stipend.
Recipients of the bursary may also be able to participate in the vacation work, from the third year in collaboration with STANLIB human capital/ learning and development.
The bursary will be renewed each year if academic performance is satisfactory.
Eligibility Criteria For The ABSIP Bursary
To apply for the ABSIP Bursary Programme, the applicants must fulfill the following minimum entry requirements. Your application will not be considered if all the requirements are not met:
- You must be a citizen of South Africa
- You need to be Black (as defined in the B-BBEE Act)
- Applicants must be studying full-time towards a career-related qualification in Investment Management is required
- Admission and enrollment are required at one of the following universities:
- University of Western Cape
- University of Cape Town
- Stellenbosch University
- University of Witwatersrand
- University of Johannesburg
- Rhodes University
- University of Pretoria
- University of Fort Hare
- University of Free State
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Limpopo
- University of Venda
- University of Zululand
- Nelson Mandela University or
- Walter Sisulu University
- Your academic record must be strong
- It is required that you achieve a minimum average score of 75% in core academic subjects
- Applicants must intend to pursue a career in the investment field
- There must be a financial need
- It is required that you do not have permanent work experience (with the exception of vacation work).
- STANLIB employees or relatives of STANLIB employees are not eligible
- You should have demonstrated leadership qualities and taken part in extracurricular activities (debating, chess clubs, sports etc)
- A free student membership in ABSIP is required (You can sign up for membership here)
How to Apply For The ABSIP Bursary?
Eligible candidates can apply online through the official website of ABSIP
Applications must be submitted online through their portal at ABSIP Bursary Programme Application 2023.
Please submit a duly filled application accompanied by the required documents to stand a chance to qualify for the bursary. An incomplete application or application with missing information will not be considered for the programme.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application. You must include copies of the following supporting documents when submitting your application online. You must submit these documents – any missing items could lead to the application being disqualified.
- Documents of identification (certified copies)
- Transcripts/Academic Record (on institution’s letterhead)
- Statement of fees or a quote from your university (on institution’s letterhead)
- A motivation letter (1 page) stating why you are interested in or studying for a qualification in Investment Management
Closing Date Of The ABSIP Bursary
The last date of application is 06 February 2023. Applications submitted after that date will not be considered.
ABSIP Contact Details
If you have questions about this bursary program, please contact ABSIP (Association of Black Securities and Investment Professionals) directly:
Tel: 010 203 9025
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/