A leading general insurer in South Africa is Santam, a South African financial services group. Over 1 million policyholders are served by the company’s broad range of general insurance products and services in southern Africa and abroad (which include individuals, commercial, specialist business owners and institutions).
There are five units under Santam:
- Santam Personal, one of Santam’s five business divisions, offers a variety of personal insurance products, including auto, home, contents, building, SOS, and watercraft insurance.
- Santam Commercial offers commercial insurance for small and large companies operating in different industries.
- Santam Specialist is a provider of insurance for complex and specialised risks, such as those in the fields of aviation, cell captive, corporate property, court bonds, crop insurance, engineering, heavy haulage, hospitality and leisure, liability, marine, and more. Customers can purchase a variety of non-life insurance products
- MiWay includes non-life insurance products like liability insurance, business insurance, homeowners insurance, and motor insurance.
- Santam RE is a provider of wholesale reinsurance services for independent general insurers and Santam / Sanlam group general insurance businesses.
Santam Bursary 2023
Santa is providing an opportunity for students to apply for undergraduate and postgraduate students to apply for the scholarship. The scholarship applies to the following fields:
- Actuarial Science
- Computer Science
- Geomatics Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Information Technology
- Risk Management
- Data Science
Intending to create a pipeline of talented young people required to expand the South African economy, Santam established the Bursary Programme as a part of its Skills Development Academy. Santam strives to produce a consistent stream of highly qualified graduates who possess fundamental technical skills as well as behavioural and leadership competencies.
Santam Agriculture seeks to support agricultural students financially so that farmers can build a sustainable future. It also aims to close the skills gap in Agriculture Crop insurance by giving gifted students the chance to develop naturally through internships and hands-on experience in relationship management, sales, and underwriting.
The bursary provides the following benefits:
- Cost of tuition
- Cost of books
- Accommodation facility
Students in the agricultural field will get the following benefits:
- An assigned mentor.
- An opportunity to take part in vacation work.
- An opportunity to take part in the graduate programme.
- invitations, as needed, to pertinent business events and conferences.
- graduates have the chance to be retained permanently as trainee area managers.
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
Applicants must check the eligibility criteria before applying for the bursary. There should not be any exceptions.
For non-agricultural students:
- You must be a resident of South Africa.
- You must be a Matric graduate.
- You need to be pursuing a postgraduate diploma, a bachelor’s degree, or an honours degree in one of the aforementioned disciplines.
- You must be beginning your second, third, or final undergraduate or honours year in 2023.
- In both your most recent exams and your undergraduate studies, you must have received a minimum score of 65%.
- You must be enrolled in a tertiary institution in South Africa that is recognised and accredited.
- You must be enthusiastic about working in the short-term insurance sector.
For agriculture students:
- You must be enrolled in a 2- or 3-year agricultural degree programme with a concentration in crop production OR
- You must be pursuing a degree or diploma in agriculture with the preferred subjects of plant production and/or soil science.
- You must be proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- You have to be confident.
- You must be an effective communicator (verbal and written)
- You must be skilled in negotiations and have good people skills.
- You need to be adaptable, a team player, and cooperative.
- You must be a self-starter who gets things done.
- You need to be customer-oriented.
- Candidates who adhere to employment equity will receive preference.
How to Apply?
Applications have to be submitted online. Click here to apply: Santam Bursary Application 2023
All the mentioned documents must be submitted along with the application form. No documents should be missing or false, else the application will not be considered.
- Certified copy of valid ID documents.
- Matriculation diploma, certified copy.
- full transcripts and academic record, certified copy.
- Proof of income from parents or guardians (affidavit if unemployed, most recent financial statements if self-employed, most recent pay stubs or letters from employer if employed), certified copy.
- Death certificates for parents or guardians, if they’re deceased, certified copy.
- divorce decree from parents or guardians, if they are divorcing, certified copy.
- parents’ or guardians’ oath, if they’re not together, certified copy.
- An attested consent form. You can find the link to the consent form here.
- A profile photo
- evidence of address (certified copy)
- An essay consisting of the answer to the following questions:
- Description of your background and family circumstances.
- Description of all your achievements and leadership positions.
- your strengths and weaknesses.
- How your chosen study programme is in favour of your talents.
- interests and envisaged career
- your statement to headline your application profile.
Closing Date Of The Bursary
All the applications must be submitted by 30 September 2022. No late applications will be accepted.
Candidates can contact StudyTrust for any queries regarding the bursary.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/