Cybersecurity is one of the most crucial areas for a nation that needs special attention. Encouraging the youth and training them in cybersecurity can help a nation to secure important data and such other information.
Absa Group and Hein Wagner Academy in South Africa have taken a wonderful initiative through which they strive to provide a scholarship in the field of cybersecurity. Know more about this scholarship in this article.
About Absa & Hein Wagner Academy
Financial services group Absa started the Absa Cybersecurity Academy in 2019 in Johannesburg, South Africa. The academy also has a second branch located in Cape Town. The goal of this academy is to make Africa a global cybersecurity skills hub.
The Hein Wagner Academy was also founded in the year 2019, by a blind adventurer and motivational speaker Hein Wagner. This institution offers numerous nationally and internationally accredited courses for visually impaired youth.
Both these institutions have come together to provide scholarships to visually impaired individuals in South Africa in the field of cybersecurity.
Absa Cybersecurity Scholarship Program: An overview
The Absa Cybersecurity scholarship program aims to support and encourage the unemployed and disadvantaged youth of the nation in a globally scarce skill. Students can undertake a 2-year program offered by Absa in Worcester, Cape Town.
This program will impart the following skills and knowledge:
- During the first year, students will build a strong technical foundation and will receive international certificates (A+, N+, and S+). They will also receive a national qualification and will learn soft skills.
- Year two focuses on teaching the students coding in Python, CCNA DevNet, and CCNA cyber operations. By learning these skills students qualify as cybersecurity analysts.
This scholarship program aligns perfectly with Absa’s skill development strategy through which it strives to encourage scarce and critical abilities. Under this scholarship program, the following expenses are covered:
- Tuition fees
- Meal expenditure
- Travel expenses
- Monthly stipend
- Specialized learning technologies
To qualify for the Absa scholarship, students must meet the following eligibility requirements. If students fail to meet any of the requirements their application can be rejected by the academy.
- Students should pass Matric or matric-equivalent qualification
- Students are expected to score at least 50% in English in Matric or matric-equivalent
- Applicant must be visually impaired or blind
- Students must have computer knowledge like typing skills and screen reader experience
- One must be between 18-30 years of age
- You must be previously disadvantaged
- A student should not be a participant in any previous internship or learnership program
- The student must be a resident in Worcester/Cape Town or be willing to relocate to these locations for the purpose of the program
Students will be selected by the academy based on the following 2 criteria:
- Academic performance
- Financial Need
How to apply for the scholarship?
Students can apply for the bursary program online. To apply for this scholarship, students must attach the following documents.
- A certified copy of the ID document
- Covering letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Transcript of the matric result or transcript of the highest college qualification
All the applications along with the above documents must be sent through email to: email@example.com
- In the email subject line, students must insert the words, “Absa Cybersecurity Academy Scholarship Application”
Once the application is received it will be reviewed and those students who meet all the eligibility requirements will be shortlisted. Such students will undergo a rigorous selection process and will be notified if they have been selected.
The last date of application is 3 September 2021
For any queries or information regarding the bursary students can contact The Hein Wagner Academy:
Telephone: 023 346 6800
Please do NOT contact The Absa Cybersecurity if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/