Google is an American tech company that specializes in various consumer and corporate technology products. Founded in 1998 in Menlo Park, California, it now operates in more than 150 countries. Its primarily known for the search engine. But Google also owns YouTube, Android, Play Store, Waymo, among other subsidiaries.
Google has a rich presence in Africa as well. It has offices in several African cities, including Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, and Accra. So far, the internet giant has spent billions of dollars to digitally transform the continent and further connectivity.
Generation Google Scholarship 2022 (Women in Gaming)
Google runs several scholarship programmes to help students financially to complete their education. The Generation Google Scholarship (Women in Gaming) is one such programme. It aims to encourage women to take up technology and gaming, in particular, as their careers. The scholarship is made available with Stadia, a subsidiary of Google that focuses on game development.
The scholarship is designed for women pursuing a Gaming degree. It’s open to European, Middle Eastern, and African women studying towards a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD qualification. The fields of study considered for the programme are:
- Video Game Programming
- Game Engineering
- Game Design
- Game Development
- Any other related subjects
The scholarships are valued at R 121,000 and will cover the following expenses:
- Tuition fees
- Study supplies
- Other equipment related to the study
Students are expected to pay for other expenses like meals and accommodation.
When awarding the scholarship, Google will look at three main things: leadership skills, academic track record, and the strength of impact on diversity.
Eligibility Criteria For The Women in Gaming Scholarship
To select the candidates, Google has laid out a few eligibility criteria. Everyone applying for the funding must fulfill all the criteria to be selected. Failing to do so will result in cancellation of the application. Therefore, always cross-check before applying.
The eligibility requirements for Generation Google Scholarship 2022 (Women in Gaming) are:
- Must be a female
- Must be a resident of a country in Europe, Africa, or the Middle East
- Must be enrolled for a graduate or an undergraduate degree for the academic session 2022-23
- Must be enrolled in a full-time programme
- Must be enrolled in a recognised and accredited university in Africa, Europe, or the Middle East
- Must be willing to study in one of the fields of study mentioned above that’s related to gaming
- Must have a strong academic track record
- Must demonstrate leadership capabilities
- Must be determined to increase the involvement of females in the gaming industry
This is a merit-based scholarship programme, and students with superior academic performance or leadership attributes will get the preference. Therefore, fulfilling all the criteria doesn’t automatically guarantee funding.
How to Apply For The Scholarship?
Eligible students should move forward with the application process and apply for the scholarship. It’s an online process that doesn’t require downloading or mailing any kind of physical form. Therefore, it should be easy and seamless.
The first step is to complete the Generation Google Scholarship: For Women in Gaming Online Application.
You’d need a Gmail account to sign up and complete the application. Click on “Apply Now” to get started.
Upload the following documents:
- Brief background information (personal details, current educational qualifications, contact details)
- Updated CV
- Academic transcript of current and past studies (on institution letterhead)
- One letter of reference from an instructor, supervisor, adviser, or professor
Then, you’d have to write essays on the following five topics within 300 words each:
- How did you get inspired to make a gaming career, and what are your goals after/while completing the degree? (Explain how your experience shaped your goals)
- A brief description of the most challenging project or research you’ve undertaken. Describe the critical technical challenges and the ways you addressed them. If it was a team-based project, describe your role in it. (Provide answer as you’d in a research paper)
- Examples of your leadership attributes. Describe how your actions impacted a community or group. (It can be informal)
- Challenges you believe women are facing in gaming and ways you hope to solve them.
- The impact this scholarship would have on your education and why you should get this funding.
Review everything and submit your application
Closing Date Of The Scholarship
The last date to apply for the Generation Google Scholarship 2022 (Women in Gaming) is 10 December 2021.
For more details on the scholarship, email your questions at ‘email@example.com.’
If the bursary/scholarship has already been closed, please do not make any queries if the bursary/scholarship is closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/