Vodacom is an African mobile communications company, owned in majority part by Vodafone. With its headquarters in South Africa, the company has a presence in as many as 40 countries in Africa, including the Democratic Republic of Congo, Tanzania, and Kenya.
Vodacom offers several converged services like messaging, voice, internet data to more than 50 million users.
One of the company’s purposes is to create a digital society where everyone is part of the digital economy.
The company also runs a foundation called “The Vodacom Foundation” that works towards benefitting society outside of its regular business model.
About the Vodacom Bursary Programme 2022
Vodacom offers bursaries to a certain number of students each year through the Vodacom Foundation.
The bursary is intended for first-year, second-year, and third-year university students in South Africa who are pursuing their education in the STEM field. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics.
More specifically, the Vodacom bursary 2022 will cover the following fields of study:
- Information Technology
- Information Systems
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical or Electronics Engineering
- Mathematical Sciences
- Data Analytics
Students are selected based on their merit and the neediness for financial assistance.
The bursary covers the cost of the full-time education and will pay for the following:
- Programme registration cost
- Tuition cost
- Accommodation cost (full coverage for university accommodation and capped for private stays)
- Textbook expenses
Besides that, beneficiaries will also receive laptops, cell phones, orientation workshops, workplace exposure, and access to Wellness Programme (ICAS) service. All of these things will help students move into the workforce as early as possible.
To select the best candidates for the bursary programme, Vodacom has a screening process in place. And the first part is the eligibility requirements. All the applicants must meet these requirements. Failure to do so will lead to the application being rejected.
The eligibility criteria for the Vodacom bursary programme are:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must have either completed Matriculation or currently in Matric
- Achieved an exemption pass in Matric
- Should have scored at least 70% in all subjects in Matric
- Should have an average of 65% if studying at tertiary level
- Must be either pursuing or willing to pursue a full-time course
- The field of study must be from STEM
- Should be starting their first, second, or third year from 2022
- Must be willing to study at the University of Technology in South Africa or a recognized university
- Should lack the monetary resources to complete the education
Apply only if you meet all the criteria mentioned above. Furthermore, fulfilling all the requirements does not guarantee selection for the bursary programme. It’s at the sole discretion of the selection committee.
How to Apply?
Candidates who fulfill the eligibility criteria of the Vodacom bursary programme should move forward with the application process.
Applying for the bursary is easy and straightforward. You apply online without the need to physically mailing anything. But the process does require attention to detail.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
Create an Account
The first step is to create an account at the Vodacom portal. This is important since that’s how the company tracks your application for the bursary. Click on the “Register” button at the top to create an account.
Submit an Online Application Form
Once you’ve created an account, log into your account to complete the online application form. You need to provide your personal and academic details on the form. It’s important that you answer all the questions unless it’s not applicable in your case. Incomplete forms are rejected without being notified to the applicants.
Submit Necessary Documents
The final step is to submit the asked documents. These are important to process your application. Here are the documents you need to prepare and submit:
- ID documents
- Matric certificate
- Academic records received to date (on official letterhead)
- Admission proof that you’re selected into a tertiary institution
- Documents regarding any other bursary you might be using
The documents should be certified copies. You need to upload them into the portal.
You can contact the bursary provider at this email address: firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll get a response within 48 hours.
The last date to apply for the Vodacom bursary is 31 August 2021.