About Construction Education and Training Authority (CETA)
The Construction Education and Training Authority (CETA) was established in April 2000 to ensure that training and skills development represents the needs and requirements of the sector. The CETA is accredited as an Education and Training Quality Assurance (ETQA) body by the South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA). ETQA accreditation allowed the CETA to administer both the skills training and training providers.
The construction industry is divided into four major sub-sectors such as Building Construction, Built Environment Professions, Materials Manufacturing and Roads and Civil Construction. The CETA then provides skills development and training projects aimed at furthering South Africa’s human resources especially the construction workforce whose skills are valued in terms of the National Qualification Frameworks (NQF).
The CETA provides corporate services to the construction industry such as Communications & PR, Human Resources and Information Communication Technology. It also provides financial management and procurement services with its sub-units which includes Supply Chain Management, Management Accounting, Project Accounting and Financial Accounting.
CETA – The Thapelo Madibeng Bursary 2021
The CETA extends an invitation to all postgraduate and undergraduate students to apply for the Thapelo Madibeng Bursaries for the Academic Year 2021. These scholarships are for students who want to pursue studies related to the construction industry, including the following fields:
For University Studies
- National Diploma in Architecture
- BSc Degree in Architecture
- BA Degree in Building Arts
- BSc Degree in Civil Engineering
- BSc Degree in Construction Economics
- BSc Degree in Construction Management
- BSc Degree in Construction Studies
- BSc Degree in Geomatics
- BSc Degree in Property Development
- BSc Degree in Quantity Surveying
- BSc Degree in Urban and Regional Planning
For University of Technology Studies
- National Diploma in Building
- National Diploma in Civil Engineering
- National Diploma in Quantity Surveying
- National Diploma in Real Estate
- National Diploma in Surveying
For TVET College Studies
- National Certificate in Civil Engineering and Building Construction
The bursary will cover for following expenses:
- Tuition fees
- Registration fees
- Other necessary expenses for the completion of the student’s qualification including laboratory costs, research costs, fieldwork, and so on, but this will be at the discretion of the CETA
The maximum value of funding will be up to R120 000 for each student per year. The funding of the bursary is annually reviewed and may change. CETA bases this on the academic performance of the students and other applicable criteria.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
Interested applicants must satisfy the following entry criteria.
- Must be a citizen of South African
- Must have a valid South African ID document
- Must have achieved at least 60% as the overall average in Matric
- Must have achieved at least level 5 in Matric for Mathematics
- Must have achieved at least level 5 in Matric for Physical Science
- Must be currently registered to study full-time or part-time, either postgraduate or undergraduate in one of the fields of study mentioned above
- Must be currently registered at one of the recognised and accredited South African public tertiary institutions (University of Technology, University, or TVET College)
- Must not have failed more than 2 subjects or must have permission to entering the next year of study
- Must not be a recipient of NSFAS funding or any other public funding or bursary
- Must not be an immediate family member of an employee of CETA
- Must not receive funding from an entity funded by CETA
- Must have an annual household income of R350,000 or below
- Preference will go to female applicants in the built environment or construction sector, military veterans, applicants with disabilities, unemployed applicants who want to undertake studies in the built environment or construction sector, applicants from rural areas who are currently studying in the built environment or construction sector.
Failure to comply with all of these requirements will lead to the application getting disregarded.
How to Apply and Application Details
Interested applicants may apply online at https://thapelomadibengbursary.co.za/
Applicants must also submit clear copies of the following documentation together with their accomplished applications:
- A certified copy of an ID document
- A certified copy of the latest Matric results or Matric certificate
- A certified copy of the complete tertiary academic record for applicants who are currently studying
- A proof of acceptance to study printed on the letterhead of the tertiary institution
- A certified copy of proof of income of the applicant’s parents or guardians in the form of bank statements (6 months), most recent payslips (for employed parents or guardians) declaration or affidavit (for unemployed parents or guardians, proof of pension or social grant (if applicable), doctors certificate (for permanently disabled parents or guardians), death certificate (for deceased parents or guardians
Failure to submit all of these will lead to the application getting disregarded.
18 March 2021
CETA Head Office
Address: 183 Kerk Street (Corner Old Pretoria Main Road), MIDRAND, 1685 Gauteng
Tel: 011 265 5900
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org