About South African Geomatics Council
The South African Geomatics Council was previously known as South African Council for Professional and Technical Surveyors – PLATO. All qualified Professional Surveyors, Technologist Surveyors, Technician Surveyors and GISc Practitioners have to be registered with the South African Geomatics Council (SAGC). Professional, Technologist and Technician Surveyors in training can also register with SAGC.
South African Geomatics Council Bursaries
The South African Geomatics Council (SAGC) grants deserving students internal bursaries as well as the Institute Northern Provinces Bursary and the MIG Sülter Bursary. All the SAGC bursaries aids students who wish to pursue careers in Surveying, Geomatics and GIS.
Bursary Terms and Conditions:
- Failure to register within given or extended periods for a tertiary education will convert the bursary to a loan with interest at ten percent per year, which should be repayable within four years.
- Unsatisfactory academic results or abandoning a course in any year, will also convert the bursary to a loan which should be repayable within four years. Application for a loan may be allowed to enable a bursary holder who failed or abandoned an academic year to repeat the studies at the discretion of SAGC.
- Failure to complete the academic year the second time will terminate any assistance to be given.
- Bursaries are valid for one academic year and is renewable if the academic results are satisfactory.
- Bursaries will be given in two installments: first in April after receipt of the tertiary institution’s official statement of account; second in August after receipt of a satisfactory academic results from the Department Head.
- Bursary holders who have completed their studies with satisfactory marks will be free of any interest on repayment if paid within the prescribed periods. Otherwise, repayment will be calculated with interest at ten percent per year.
- SAGC reserves the right to change conditions, bursary amount or duration at any time.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Students who are registered or registering at a University, currently studying or intends to study B.Sc in Surveying /Geomatics, B.Tech Surveying / Mine Surveying / Geomatics OR Diploma in Surveying / Mine Surveying or GIS
- South African citizens
- Proven financial need
- Excellent academic performance
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the SAGC Bursary Application Form.
- Attach certified copies of the following required documents together with your application form:
- Matric certificate
- ID document
- Tertiary qualifications certificate(s)
- Latest results for June and November
- Provisional Letter of Acceptance at University / Technicon
- Proof of Registration at Institution
- Submit application and all the required documentation to:
South African Geomatics Council
P O Box 83018
Opening & Closing Date
7 January annually
Address: Unit 3, Building 2 Bruma Boulevard Office Park 20 Zulberg Close Bruma Johannesburg
Post: P O Box 83018 South Hills 2136
Tel: 011 – 626 1040/011 – 626 1080
Fax: 011 – 626 2007