The Institute for Landscape Architecture in South Africa or ILASA is an independent organisation that promotes the profession of landscape architecture in South Africa. It serves as the parent organisation for three other bodies representing the members nationwide: the ILASA Gauteng, ILASA KZN, and ILASA Cape.
One of the missions of ILASA is to increase the competence of landscape architectures in South Africa. This further increases demand for them both in the public and private sectors. While doing so, ILASA also aims to uplift the previously disadvantaged societies by offering bursaries to the members.
Institute for Landscape Architecture in South Africa or ILASA Bursary 2024
ILASA operates a bursary programme that offers financial assistance to students coming from a previously disadvantaged background. The bursaries also aim to nurture landscape architectures for the future. For the academic session 2024, ILASA will award the bursaries to those who are either pursuing an undergraduate or postgraduate degree in landscape architecture.
The students will receive coverage for the entire duration of the study programme. Those pursuing a National Diploma will receive funding for a maximum of three years. Students pursuing Advanced Diplomas may get funding for additional years subject to performance and other factors. Bursars studying towards a Bachelor’s Degree will receive funding for three or four years, depending on the course. Those pursuing a Master’s degree will get financing for a maximum of two years.
The bursary programme will cover the following expenses:
- Tuition fees
- Books and study materials
- Stationary cost
ILASA will calculate the value of each bursary based on the above expenses. After graduating, bursars will have to work for a Landscape Architectural firm. The time period will be equal to the duration of funding received.
ILASA Bursary Eligibility Criteria
To be selected for the bursary programme, applicants would have to fulfill the eligibility criteria first. These are formulated by the institute to select eligible candidates to award the bursaries. Since there are a limited number of bursaries, it can’t provide funding to all students. Anyone applying for the bursary funding must fulfill all of the criteria.
The eligibility requirements for ILASA bursary are:
- Must be a South African citizen (naturalised citizens are also eligible)
- Must be either studying or willing to study towards a Landscape Architectural qualification
- Must be studying or willing to study at one of the universities mentioned: the University of Cape Town, Cape Peninsula Unversity of Technology, or University of Pretoria
- Must have scored no less than 60% in the previous academic year
- Must be in need of financial assistance
Fulfilling all the requirements, however, doesn’t guarantee bursary funding. Preference is given to those that come from a disadvantaged background. Also, people with disabilities may receive priority over others. The decision taken by ILASA will be considered final.
How to Apply?
If you consider yourself eligible, move forward with the application process and apply for ILASA Bursary 2023. You need to follow a simple procedure that shouldn’t take more than an hour to complete. However, you should be diligent while completing the steps mentioned below. Incorrect or incomplete submissions are discarded without further consideration.
The first step is to download and complete the official ILASA Bursary Application Form 2024. pdf
The next step is to prepare the following documents necessary for processing the application:
- ID documents (certified copies)
- ID documents of parents or guardians (must be the breadwinners) (certified copies)
- Proof of income of parents or guardians (payslips if employed; affidavit if unemployed or deceased; balance sheet if self-employed, certified copies)
- Academic records of the previous year, if currently pursuing a qualification (certified copies)
- School academic previous of the preceding year academic year, if applicable (certified copies)
- A motivational letter describing why you deserve the funding (include your academic ability and future study plans)
- Signed bursary agreement
- Signed bursary policy
- Email Your Application
The last date to apply for the ILASA Bursary is 22 November 2023.
For more information on the bursary programme, contact Nadia Funke at:
- Telephone – 084 804 8924
- Email – email@example.com
If the bursary has already been closed, you are requested not to contact ILASA. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/