There are several scholarships available for meritorious South African students that offer financial support. One of them is the Cecil Renaud Overseas Scholarship. It is awarded every year to students who want to pursue their Masters’s degree in the UK. In this article, find out everything you need to know about this scholarship and whether you’re eligible for the 2022 edition.
About the Cecil Renaud Overseas Scholarship
The Cecil Renaud Overseas Scholarship is awarded to selected South African students who want to pursue their Masters’s or Ph.D. degree from a UK-based university of their choice.
It has been granted to two students annually. The duration of the postgraduate study is for a maximum of two years.
Students who avail the scholarships often end up at the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, or London. But it’s not a given.
Who Awards the Scholarship?
The scholarship is awarded by the Cecil Renaud Educational and Charitable Trust, which was established in 1988. The trust was set up by a Durban-based philanthropist, Dr. Léon Cecil Mapleson Renaud or simply Dr. Cecil Renaud.
Dr. Renaud was born in Durban and graduated from Durban High School. In 1934, aged 30, he took over the board of SS Frontier Company, which his father ran. Today, this company is known as Unicorn Tankers.
He was a successful sugar farmer who was highly passionate about education. Therefore, he turned to philanthropy to help students who were in need.
After he passed away on June 3, 1993, he offered his entire estate to the trust as part of his death will. After the trust started operating, the trustees set up the scholarship in the UK, thus facilitating students in South Africa to pursue their higher education abroad.
Besides the scholarship, Dr. Renaud has also contributed to Natal University and other secondary and tertiary institutions in KZN.
Since 1994, the trust has already awarded 29 scholarships to the brightest South African students to pursue their higher education in the UK.
This scholarship has specific criteria that you need to meet to be eligible for applying. Therefore, as an applicant, you must know exactly what the requirements are and check your eligibility.
Here are the eligibility criteria for Cecil Renaud Overseas Scholarship:
- Must be officially a citizen of South Africa, having been residing continuously for at least five years.
- Your age, at the time of application, must be at least 27 years.
- Must have studied in the KwaZulu-Natal province for the most part of the secondary schooling.
- Must be studying in the final year of the postgraduate or undergraduate degree in South Africa.
- The applicant must have either attained or looking to secure the undergraduate or Honours degree cum laude or summa cum laude.
- Must be in possession of Certificates of Merit and Dean’s Commendations or similar documents.
- Must be driven to bring significant positive changes to the world and the selected field of study.
- Can demonstrate an above-par track record in extracurricular activities.
- Must be driven to bring prosperity to South Africa and not aim to settle abroad.
All in all, you should have a strong purpose for obtaining this scholarship. That’s because only two candidates will be selected for this. So only the best of the best will be chosen.
How to Apply?
If you meet all of the criteria for the Cecil Renaud Overseas Scholarship, you can move forward with your application process.
To get started, you’d have to download The Cecil Renaud Overseas Scholarship Application Form. Then, fill in the details with complete accuracy.
Along with the application, you’re also required to submit relevant documents. So the next step is to gather the documents, which are the following:
- Birth certificate
- Academic certificates up until Bachelors degree
- Courses/degrees you partake
- Curriculum Vitae
- Passport size photograph
- A document stating the courses you wish to take up, general interest, the university you want to study in and the reason behind it, and what you intend to do after the completion of the program.
- Letter of Interest/Motivation letter stating why you’re a good fit for this scholarship
Once you’ve filled out the application and scanned the documents, send them to firstname.lastname@example.org and RoshiniK@privatewealth.sanlam.co.za.
The closing date for the scholarship is 31 October 2021. If you’ve got more questions, seek help at www.cecilrenaud.co.za/contact-us.
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on March 13, 2022)