SAMSTIP stands for the Southern African Mathematics and Science Teacher Intern Programme. The mission of the SAMSTIP is to overcome the skills shortage in South Africa that occurs due to the scarcity of good standard teachers of mathematics and science. They offer internship programmes. The program focuses on quality instruction given by ISASA member schools to create mathematics and science educators, by expanding the number of school-leavers from underprivileged communities to pass math.
ISASA is the biggest and oldest non-profit organization that serves above 800 schools in South Africa. They aim to make quality education available to everyone across South Africa.
SAMSTIP Teacher Internship Bursaries 2022
SAMASTIP has partnered with the Department of Basic Education and Investec and is offering an opportunity for the students of PGCE to apply for an internship for teachers for the year 2022.
The candidates who wish to pursue Senior and Further Education and Training (FET), specializing in Mathematics and Sciences (Physical, natural or life) are eligible to apply at UNISA for studies for a one-year post-graduate certificate in education.
The bursary offers the following benefits:
- Cost of tuition in UNISA.
- Textbooks for the course.
- Monthly stipend.
- Transport allowance.
- Accommodation facilities.
- Training in any of ISASA member schools.
- Resources for learning as well as teaching.
- Guidance from qualified professionals.
- Academic enrichment.
- The students are required to teach at a public school after the completion of graduation.
- Selected candidates might be called for an entrance exam and then an internal interview after passing the entrance exam.
- The candidates will be interviewed by a school where they might get placed.
- Selected candidates will be required to apply to UNISA.
Eligibility Criteria For The SAMSTIP Teacher Internship Bursary
The candidate must pass the eligibility criteria before applying for the programme. There should not be any exceptions or the application will be rejected.
- The candidate must hold a South African Citizenship.
- The candidate must not be older than 30 years old.
- The candidate must have either completed their under graduation or be in the final year. They should also have credits in Mathematics and any of the following subjects:
- Life Sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Physical sciences
- The candidate must not be registered before at a tertiary institution for PGCE.
- The candidate must satisfy the requirements of the university and have an acceptance for a PGCE qualification for the year 2022.
- The candidate must have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics and life sciences or physical sciences or natural sciences from a tertiary institution at least up to 3rd year for NQF level 7 and 2nd year for NQF level 7.
- The candidate must be interested in studying at UNISA for the year 2022 for a PGCE course.
- The candidate must have a clean criminal record.
How to Apply For The Bursary?
The applications have to be submitted online via the SAMSTIP website. Applicants can click here to apply online.
The candidates can also send their application forms by post. They have to request a hard copy of the form via email from
Slindile Shelembe at firstname.lastname@example.org
16 St David Road
The candidates need to submit the following documents along with the application form:
- Certified copies of ID documents.
- Certified Copy of Matriculation certificate.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts.
- Degree or diploma certificate.
Closing Date Of The Bursary
The applications are still open and no closing date has been announced yet.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
If the candidate has any questions, they can send them to ISASA directly:
Telephone: 011 648 1331
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/