Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) Bursaries
IDC offers a bursary programme to help qualified students who are academically capable but lack financial resources to continue higher education. The fields of study in which bursaries are awarded should be relevant to the industrial sector such as Engineering (BSc Industrial, Chemical, Electrical, Electronic, Mechanical, Mining, Metallurgy, Civil, Analytical Chemistry and Geology) and Applied Commercial Sciences (Bcom Accountancy CA, Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, Investment Management, Agriculture and Environmental Science).
IDC bursary programme covers the following:
- Accommodation. A stipend will be granted in the case of bursary holders residing privately or with family/relatives. On the other hand, full residence fees will be given to the institution in the case of bursary holders residing in the institution’s residences.
- Meal allowance
- Tuition and registration fees
- Bi-annual books and stationery allowances
Bursaries must be renewed per academic year depending on student’s academic performance. Bursaries may also be provided for those who are acquiring a compulsory postgraduate degree to obtain professional status. Upon completion of studies, bursary holders may also be required to work for IDC for a period equivalent to the bursary duration.
The Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) was established in 1940 and is a national development finance institution fully owned by the South African government under the supervision of the Economic Development Department. The institution was founded to promote economic growth and industrial development in South Africa as well as the rest of the African continent. This is done through special schemes such as Gro-E Youth, Manufacturing Competitiveness, Youth Development, Agro Processing, SMEs and MIDCAP companies, Clothing and Textiles, Leather and Footwear, Technology Venture Capital Fund, Green Tourism Incentive Programme and Pro-Forestry Scheme.
IDC covers strategic business units including Agriculture, Automotive, Metal and Mining, Chemicals and Pharmaceuticals, Clothing and Textiles, Manufacturing, Infrastructure, Tourism, Machinery and Media.
IDC Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- South African citizens who qualify for admission to a University or University of Technology and FET college or Full time University or University of Technology students who have already successfully completed one or more years and passed all courses for which they are enrolled
- Not a recipient of any other funding sources
- Minimum B aggregate symbol for grade 12 Maths and Science.
- Minimum C aggregate symbol average for applicants already at university
Applicants from rural areas will be given preference. University or University of Technology students who have already successfully completed one or more years will be assessed based on their Grade 12 and latest academic results. No bursaries are awarded for applicants studying at a college or private university.
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the IDC Bursary Application Form. (pdf) Or visit their website bursaries page for the latest application form.
- Submit certified copies of the following documents to accompany your application:
- Grade 11 results, this year’s Grade 12 June results, NSC/Matric results, latest academic results for tertiary students and applicants not studying this year
- Provisional admission letter to the institution you applied to
- ID document
- Household proof of income (payslips or audited financial statements)
- Death certificate or a sworn affidavit if parent(s) / guardian / spouse is deceased
- Divorce certificate if parents are divorced
- Sworn statement from one of parent if they are separated
- Application forms together with the supporting documents must be sent through either of the following methods:
- Post: Industrial Development Corporation (IDC)
PO Box 784055
- Fax: 0862103946/3197
- Email: [email protected]
If you have not received any response within 30 days after the application closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
30 June annually
Ms Nolonwabo Nguqu
Tel: 011 269 3946
Email: [email protected]