About Petra Diamonds
Petra Diamonds is a UK-based diamond mining group founded in 1997 by Adonis Pouroulis. The range of services includes creating project appraisals to mining to sorting and sales of diamonds.
In Africa, the company has a diversified portfolio with eight producing mines currently in operation across South Africa and Tanzania. Petra Diamonds is also the biggest independent diamond producer in Africa.
In South Africa, it operates four underground kimberlite mines from where diamonds are sourced. These are Finsch, Kimberley Underground, Cullinan, and Koffiefontein. The company has future project plans for mining diamonds from Botswana and other African countries.
Petra Diamonds South Africa Bursary 2022
Petra Diamonds offers financial aid to a certain number of students each year via bursaries. These are meant for students who are interested in the mining sector and pursuing Diploma or Degree studies.
For the academic year 2022, bursaries will be awarded mines-specific and within these fields of study:
- At Koffiefontein Diamond Mine – Mining Engineering, Geology, Industrial Engineering, Environmental and Engineering Geology (with specialisation in Geotechnical Engineering)
- At Cullinan Diamond Mine – Metallurgical Engineering
- At Finsch Diamond Mine – Computer Science, Information Technology
The bursary will cover the following expenses:
- Full tuition cost
- Prescribed books cost
- Study materials
- Accommodation cost
Bursars will also get a loan laptop that they can use from the 2nd year to the final year of their studies.
Along with that, students will also receive support from CareerWise to help them adapt to campus life. There will be regular bursary meetings which bursars would have to attend. They will also get career guidance to enter the job market.
As a bursary requirement, bursars will be required to participate in vacation work and a service contract. During this time, they’d be working for Petra Diamonds on an assigned project. After completing their studies, some of the students will get the opportunity to join the Petra Diamonds Graduate Programme.
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
To select the candidates for the bursary, Petra Diamonds has laid out specific eligibility criteria. Anyone applying for the funding must meet all the criteria. Failing to do so will result in the cancellation of your application.
The eligibility requirements for Petra Diamonds bursary programme 2022 are:
- Must be a South African citizen at the time of applying
- Must have completed Matric
- Must be either studying or intend to study in one of the mining-related disciplines mentioned above
- Must be studying at a recognised South African higher education institute
- Must have a strong academic record
Fulfilling the eligibility requirements, however, does not guarantee funding. Preference is given to those who belong to the following regions:
- Letsemeng Municipality in Koffiefontein
- Tshwane Municipality (region 5 to 7)
- Danielskuil/Lime acres
- Kimberley and Kuruman region
The list of bursars published by the company will be considered final.
How to Apply?
If you meet all of the eligibility requirements, move forward with the application process and apply for the bursary. It’s an online process that should take no more than an hour to complete. But it’s also essential to maintain accuracy since inaccurate or incomplete applications are rejected without further consideration. Therefore, take your own time while completing the application.
The first step is to create an online account at CareerWise. Visit the Petra Diamonds bursary application page and register yourself. Please apply online by entering the following promotional code: PETRA22 on the CareerWise website: Petra Diamonds uses CareerWise to track the applications and select the bursars. If you already have an account at CareerWise, then you can log in with the credentials.
Complete your profile by providing personal and academic details. Then apply for the bursary with your CareerWise account.
The next step is to submit the documents necessary for the application. The list of documents are:
- ID documents (certified copies)
- Matric certificate (certified copies)
- Complete academic record including the latest results (must be on institution letterhead)
- Proof of acceptance at the university you’re studying at (must be on institution letterhead)
- Proof of address
Upload the documents and submit your application.
The bursary is currently open, and the last date to apply for the Petra Diamonds bursary is 31 October 2021.
For more details regarding the bursary, you can contact CareerWise at:
- Telephone – 0860 100 7787, 011 258 4464
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
If the bursary has already been closed, you are requested not to contact Petra Diamonds/CareerWise. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/