The South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE) is an association of civil engineering professionals which has around nine thousand members. The Institution has expertise in the following sub-disciplines within the profession: transportation, railway and harbour, water, geotechnical, structural, construction, environmental, urban and rural, and information technology.
SAICE Patrons Engineering Bursary Scheme (SPEBS)
SPEBS is a bursary scheme established in 1992 by the South African Institution of Civil Engineering (SAICE) to help financially needy students with academic potential who wish to pursue their tertiary education. Bursaries are granted to National Diploma students after having passed their first level (S1) examination and to degree students after having passed their first-year examinations.
Bursaries are renewable every semester and are based on the student’s academic performance. The bursary scheme partially covers registration, tuition and books. Currently, the bursary value amounts to a maximum of R6 500 per student per semester. The bursary amount is still dependent on the conditions set by the donators in which this amount could be more or less than R6 500.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Completed all the subjects from previous study levels
- Students who study towards the National Diploma or the Degree in Civil Engineering at a South African tertiary institution
National Diploma students:
- Candidates who have already passed their first level (S1) National Diploma examination
- S2, S3 and S4 civil engineering students only
- Candidates who have already passed their first semester examinations
- 2nd, 3rd and 4th year civil engineering students only
How to Apply and Application Details
- Download and complete the SAICE SPEBS Bursary Application Form. (pdf)
- Attach certified copies of the following documents:
- Application form and required documents must be sent to: SAICE – SPEBS Desk, Private Bag X200 HALFWAY HOUSE 1685
Successful candidates are notified during March or September. Certified proof of registration with a clear statement of registered subjects must be provided before funds are released. Bursaries are paid to the tertiary institution to be credited to the bursary holders account.
Closing Date For first semester: 31 January
For second semester: 31 July
SAICE – SPEBS Desk
Contact Person: Fridah Mahlangu
E-mail: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Tel: 011 805 5947 (Office hours)
Fax: 011 805 5971
SAICE Career Guidance
Post: Private Bag X200 HALFWAY HOUSE 1685