About Umgeni Water
Umgeni Water is an SOE (State-owned Enterprise) that’s responsible for supplying bulk water to the residents and industries of KwaZulu-Natal. It is currently the biggest supplier and contractor of bulk water suppliers in the area and servicing an area of more than 21,000 sq km.
The SOE is headquartered in Pietermaritzburg and comes under the Department of Water and Sanitation. It operates 13 dams and 11 water treatment plants to supply the water to the residents. It aims to offer the highest quality of water and uninterrupted services to the residents.
Umgeni Water Bursary 2022 – 2023
Umgeni Water is offering bursaries to a certain number of students to help them complete their education. The Umgeni Water Bursary Programme aims to encourage more students to take up science disciplines and serve the community. For the academic session 2022-23, here are the fields of study eligible for the bursary programme:
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science/Data Science/Cyber Security
- Environmental Science/Ecology/Biology
- Mechanical Engineering
The value of the bursary is decided on a case-by-case basis. Once awarded, it will cover the costs like the tuition fees, registration fees, accommodation, meals, prescribed textbooks, and stationery items.
This is a merit-based bursary, and the funding will go to students with strong academic performance.
Eligibility Criteria For The Umgeni Water Bursary
To select the candidates for the bursary, Umgeni Water has laid out specific eligibility criteria. Everyone applying for the funding must fulfill all of the criteria to be selected. Failing to do so will result in your application not being considered. Since there are only a limited number of bursaries, the SOE can’t award everyone. Therefore, always cross-check before applying.
The eligibility requirements for Umgeni Water Bursary 2022-23 are:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must have completed Matric
- Must be pursuing a BSc degree in one of the fields of study mentioned above
- Must have completed their first year of study and currently be in the second, third, or fourth year
- Must be studying full-time and not part-time
- Must be studying at an accredited and recognised tertiary institution
- Must have a strong academic track record
- Must have a proven financial need for pursuing their education
- Must be willing to sign a contract with Umgeni Water
Not everyone applying for the bursary will receive the funding. Preference is given to those who are permanent residents of the KwaZulu-Natal province and belong to a previously disadvantaged designated group. Meritorious female students also get priority over their male counterparts.
How to Apply For The Umgeni Water Bursary?
Eligible students should move forward with the application process and apply for the Umgeni Water Bursary 2022 – 2023. It’s a short and simple process, and you should be done within an hour. But it’s also important to not rush through the process and submit incomplete or incorrect applications. Such submissions are rejected without further consideration.
Here are the steps to apply for the Umgeni Water Bursary:
First, you need to download and complete the Umgeni Water Bursary Application Form from the official. Read the instructions provided on the form and start filling it out. It’s essential to answer all questions that are applicable in your case. You’d have to provide information on yourself, your educational background, parents/guardians, and sign at appropriate places.
The next step is to prepare the documents that are required for the bursary. Here is the list of those documents:
- ID documents
- Matric certificate
- Recent academic results (not older than three months, certified copies)
- Proof of registration at the tertiary institution
- A motivational letter (on the form itself)
- Proof of address (if residing in village, a letter from Traditional Authority Offices; a letter from Municipality office is residing in Town or Township)
- Proof of income of parents/guardians (payslips if employed; affidavit if unemployed; proof of pension or death certificates if applicable)
After reviewing, email the scanned documents and the application form to ‘email@example.com.’
For the submit line, insert ‘Umgeni Water Bursary Application.’
The application must be submitted online and shouldn’t be submitted in paper-based or physical form.
Closing Date Of The Umgeni Water Bursary
The last date of applying for the Umgeni Water Bursary is 31 December 2021 by 16:00 local time.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
For more details on the bursary programme, contact Mr. Nokuphiwa Mkhize, the Skills Development Facilitator, at:
If the bursary has already been closed, please do not make any queries if the bursary is closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on November 30, 2021)