About Durban eThekwini
Established in the year 2000 in KwaZulu-Natal, the eThekwini Metropolitan Municipality encompasses Durban City and its neighboring towns. Formed by consolidating 7 independent local councils and tribal land, it is the largest city in the province.
Known for its expansive beaches, warm subtropical climate, and scenic gorges, the municipality is a key tourist destination. With a population exceeding 3.5 million, it holds the distinction of being a Category A municipality.
Durban eThekwini Municipality Bursaries
eThekwini Municipality invites students to apply for its bursary program for the upcoming academic year. The municipality will award bursaries for undergraduate studies in various fields such as:
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Electronic Engineering
- Medical Officer (General and Occupational Health)
The bursary covers tuition fees, examination fees, accommodation, book allowance, and a one-time computer allowance in the second study year (subject to agreement compliance).
eThekwini Municipality will contact shortlisted candidates. If you don’t receive feedback within 3 months after the application deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
Applicants must undergo an assessment as part of the selection process.
Eligibility Criteria For The eThekwini Municipality Bursary
Before you apply, make sure you meet the minimum entry criteria. Non-compliance with all the requirements will result in the application not being considered.
- You need to hold South African citizenship.
- You should currently be in Matric (in 2023) or have completed Matric.
- A robust academic record is essential.
- You must be enrolled or planning to pursue full-time undergraduate studies in 2024 in one of the specified fields.
- Acceptance or enrollment at a recognized and accredited public tertiary institution in South Africa is a requirement.
- Priority will be given to candidates who have successfully completed at least their first year of study.
- Individuals with disabilities will be preferred and are encouraged to apply.
- Preference will be given to candidates underrepresented in terms of gender, race, and disability.
How to Apply and Application Details
Applicants must submit their applications online at: eThekwini Municipality Bursary Application 2024
(Reference Number: ETH231115-2)
You must submit copies of the following documentation along with your application form. The submission of these documents is mandatory; any missing items may result in the disqualification of your application.
- Certified copy of your ID document
- Certified copy of Matric latest results for those currently in Matric or awaiting Matric certificate.
- Certified copy of Matric certificate for those who have completed Matric.
- Full academic record on tertiary letterhead for current tertiary students.
- Proof of acceptance to a South African public university on tertiary letterhead.
The application deadline is 12 January 2024. Applications submitted after the closing date won’t be considered.
For any inquiries regarding the bursary programme, please directly reach out to the eThekwini Municipal Academy:
Name of the contact people: Wendy Shabalala or Nokulunga Sibiya
Tel: 031 322 7535 / 031 311 3192 / 031 311 3924
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/