Lonmin is a producer of Platinum Group Metals (PGMs) which includes Gold, Copper, Nickel, Chrome and Cobalt as by-products. These metals are important for several industries such as engineering as well as investment, trading and ornamental (jewelries, decorations) business. The company have been granted a New Order Mining Licence by the South African government and 181 million troy ounces (3PGE + Au) and 32 million ounces (3PGE + Au) of resource reserves. Lonmin has operations in Marikana which accounts for 95% of the company’s production, Pandora and Akani.
Lonmin offers different types of bursary programme to assist potential students to attain qualifications in mining/ mining-related disciplines.
The bursary will be awarded within the following fields of study:
- Mining Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Human Resources Management
- Analytical Chemistry
This bursary provides tuition fees, books, accommodation, meals and monthly allowances, Personal Protective Equipment (PPE), personal computer in the 2nd year of studies and tutoring assistance as well as financial and practical training. Bursary holders will also be offered with 8 weeks vacation work at the Company every year. The number of bursaries awarded per year is based on the business need.
Lonmin Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Grade 12, minimum average of 60% in both Mathematics and Science
- Matriculant or 1st-year student, minimum C average (60%) or higher
Key Performance Areas
- Attend lectures at University/Technicon.
- Conduct compulsory practical vacation work of 8 weeks per annum as per bursar programme outcomes and/or University/Technicon project.
- Adhere to all Company policies, standards and procedures.
- Perform all assigned tasks in a safe manner.
- Capturing and reporting of information.
- Ensure effective team relationships and support.
- Engage relevant stakeholders to gain the necessary business context.
- Support and promote a positive work environment.
How to Apply and Application Details
- To Register your profile and submitting the application, go to the link at.Click on the “JOB SEARCH” button in the top menu bar to find out the latest bursary listings below and apply online for the available bursary program.
- Prepare the following document and upload in the online application:
- MS Word version of Curriculum Vitae
- Proof of university acceptance
- Recent academic results
- Copy of ID
- Proof of which community you originate from
- If within 30 days after the closing date of the application there are no response, please consider your application as unsuccessful
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited for an interview for the assessment of skills and abilities. Check the interview guide for hints and tips for candidates.
Applications are currently closed.
Click here for relevant bursary opportunities.
Address: Middelkraal Farm Marikana North West Republic of South Africa
Tel: 010 140 3099