About Mining Qualification Authority
The Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) is a registered SETA (Sector Education and Training Authority) body for the Minerals and Mining sector as per the Skills Development Act No. 97 of 1998. MQA was founded based on the Mine Health and Safety Act No. 29 of 1996.
MQA is obliged to support the critical objectives of the NSDP (National Skills Development Plan) 2020-2030 under the guidance of the DHET (Department of Higher Education and Training). Additionally, it also supports the objectives of the Mining Charter as per the Minerals and Petroleum Resources Development Act No. 29 of 1996.
The MQA administers various skills development activities. These learnership and skills training is designed to create economic opportunities and build an educated and skilled workforce. This will give the minerals and mining sector a bright future, increased productivity, and betterment in health and safety, equity, and employment.
Mining Qualifications Authority (MQA) Bursary
The MQA launches bursary schemes to encourage students to choose a career in the minerals and mining sector. MQA continues to help students wanting to study in TVET (Technical Vocational Education and Training) colleges, and HEI (Higher Education Institutions).
The MQA is inviting Unemployed Learners currently in Grade 12 or already enrolled at a public University, TVET College, or University of Technology to apply for their Bursary Scheme for the 2024 academic year. It will cover allowances for books, meals, stationery, toolkits, and accommodation along with tuition and registration fees per semester per bursar.
The MQA Bursary will fund the following qualifications at the Universities, TVET colleges, and Universities of technology:
- Jewellery Design and Manufacturing
- Mining Engineering
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mine Survey
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Analytical Chemistry
- Industrial Engineering
- Electro-Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Health and Management
- Quality Management
- Operations Management
- Occupational Hygiene
- Occupational Medicine
- Occupational Health and Safety
MQA will fund the following qualifications at TVET Colleges:
- Fitter and Turner
- Instrumentation Mechanic
- Motor Mechanic (Diesel)
- Fitting (including Machinery)
- Rigger Ropes Man
The MQA may reserve 20% of the total bursary allocations for the degrees not mentioned above for the year 2024. The MQA may deem these degrees important for the mining and minerals industry.
These bursaries are re-awarded every year in which the candidates stay enrolled. MQA keeps re-assessing it annually.
To apply for the MQA Unemployed Bursary 2024, you must fulfill the following criteria:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must be unemployed when applying and must remain unemployed for the entire time of their studies
- Must be currently in Grade 12 or have completed Grade 12
- Must intend to study for either of the degrees listed above in the University, University of Technology, or TVET College across South Africa
The MQA will be giving preference to students who are:
- HDI (Historically Disadvantaged Individuals)
- Financially needy with a combined household income of less than R600 000 per year (MQA will verify the household income)
- Female students
- Students living in rural communities
- Those who have applied at their local tertiary institutions.
- Those who have a strong academic record
How To Apply?
Go to the following link and download the application form for the Unemployed Learners:
Complete the above application form, save it under your full name and surname, and then email it by attaching the required documents and sending it to: email@example.com
The subject line of the email must have your full name, surname, and ID number.
MQA will consider applications sent to the above email address.
Attach the following documents to the email along with the complete application form:
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified copy of Grade 12 Certificate
- If in high school, June 2023 Grade 12 results or December 2022 Grade 11 results
- If applicable, an acceptance letter from the University
- If in TVET college or University, full academic record
- ID document of Parents or Guardian
- Proof of household income:
- Pay slips of parents/guardian or Proof of SASA payment for parents/guardian, if applicable
- Affidavit, if Parent/Guardian is unemployed
- Death certificate of parent/guardian, if applicable
- An affidavit from the Parent of your other parent is absent or passed away
- Students must name the documents appropriately.
- Do not send documents in ZIP files.
- Do not send your CV or resume
- Send applications only via email. Do Not Send via links like Adobe Cloud, OneDrive, or Google Drive.
The application window is extended up to 20 October 2023. Late applications will be rejected.
If you have not heard anything from the MQA by November 30, 2023, please consider your application unsuccessful.
MQA Head Office – Parktown
Tel: +27 11 547 2600
MQA Regional Offices:
Tel: 011 547 2600
Tel: 047 505 1063
Tel: 087 095 0266
Tel: 013 696 8120/2121
Tel: 087 095 0267
Tel: 014 555 8860
Tel: 053 723 0100
Please do NOT contact The MQA if this bursary has already closed. Please view our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/