About Palabora Mining Company Limited
Palabra Mining Company Limited, founded in 1956, is an underground and open-pit mining company. Mining at PMC produces byproducts and copper, as well as many precious metals from anode slimes; sulfuric acid; nickel sulphate; magnetite and vermiculite. Their open cast mine has nearly 2 000 meters of width, making it the widest man-made hole in Africa.
In addition to mining activities, Palabora also operates subsidiaries in the United Kingdom, Singapore, and the United States to market vermiculite.
In addition to being headquartered in Phalaborwa, Limpopo, South Africa, the company produces refined copper for the entire country. The Rio Tinto Group (international mining conglomerates) owns 57% of the company’s stock, Anglo American owns 17%, and the rest 26% is publicly traded.
Palabora Mining Company Bursary 2024
Student applicants are invited to apply for a bursary programme offered by the Palabora Mining Company for the upcoming academic year.
The following undergraduate study fields will be eligible for bursaries:
- Electrical Engineering
- Environmental Science/ Health
- Metallurgical Engineering
- Mine Surveying
- Mining Engineering
- Process Control/ Instrumentation
- Supply Chain Management
The bursary will provide cover of the registration fees, tuition fees, accommodation, meals, prescribed book allowance and a laptop.
Bursary recipients will be selected based on academic merit only.
Applicants who are shortlisted will be contacted no later than 15 January 2023. Your application will be considered unsuccessful if you have not heard anything by this date. Applicants who are shortlisted will undergo a psychometric test and interview.
As long as the student maintains satisfactory academic performance, the bursary is renewable each year.
In order to apply, applicants must meet the following minimum requirements (please note that applications that do not meet all the requirements will not be considered):
- Citizenship of South Africa is required
- Age must be between 16 to 35 years old
- Must reside within the Ba-Phalaborwa Communities (Maseke, Lulekani, Makhushane, Namakgale, Benfarm, Selwane, Mashishimale and Phalaborwa Town)
- Must be currently in Matric (in 2023) or have completed Matric
- Must be studying or intend on studying full-time, towards an undergraduate qualification in one of the fields listed above, in 2024
- Must be studying or intend on studying at a recognised and accredited University or University of Technology within South Africa
- Have a strong academic record
- NO criminal record
- NOT receiving any other sponsorship or bursary awards
- Student with disabilities and female students are encouraged to apply
- Preference will be given to candidates with excellent academic record
How to apply?
You must submit your application online here: Palabora Mining Company Bursary 2024
Please upload the following supporting documents with your online application. Note: Failure to upload these documents may result in disqualification:
- Document of identification (certified copy)
- Matriculation certificate (certified copy)
- Full academic record, if currently studying (certified copy)
- (on the letterhead of the institution)
- University or University of Technology enrollment letter (on institution’s letterhead)
- Proof of residence in Ba-Phalaborwa communities (Municipal letter or Tribal Authority letter) (certified copy)
The application deadline is 20 November 2023 (at 24:00). Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered. Please apply before the deadline if you want your application to be considered.
Contact Palabora Mining Company directly if you have any questions about this bursary program:
Contact page: https://www.palabora.com/contact_us.asp
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/