About Rio Tinto
Rio Tinto is one of the world’s largest producers of a range of essential materials with almost 150 years of expertise in exploration, expansion, diversification and innovation. The company have some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations and also has operations in about 35 countries across six continents. It has also developed some technological innovations such as Mine of the Future™ programme and low-CO2 aluminum from hydropower. The materials the company produced can be found in modern technologies including smartphones, planes, cars and hospitals. Rio Tinto also owns and operates open pit and underground mines, mills, refineries, smelters and power stations, research and service facilities, ports and ships.
Rio Tinto / Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) Bursaries
If you are a high-caliber scholar/student looking for a bursary opportunity, Richards Bay Minerals can offer you one of the widest and most exciting ranges of opportunities available.
Applications are now open for those who pursuing full-time studies in the following fields:
- Engineering (Chemical/Metallurgy/Industrial/Mechanical/Electrical)
- Engineering (Civil/Geomatics/Mechatronics)
- Computer Science / Information Technology
- Actuarial Science
- Finance & Business: (Accounting)
Rio Tinto Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
Applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry criteria before applying (please note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will lead to your application not being considered):
- South African citizen
- Matric Term Results with Maths and/Science for Engineering Disciplines
- Matric Term results with minimum Level 5 pass per subject for Other Disciplines
- Studying full-time within one of the aforementioned fields of study
- Currently in your Matric OR 1st year of study
- Studying at a recognised tertiary institute in South Africa
- In financial need
- Passionate about your field of study
- We encourage students with a disability to apply
How to Apply and Application Details
Applications must be done online at Rio Tinto / Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) Bursary 2022.
Register an account at and apply using your created account for the bursary.
Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application:
- A certified copy of your ID document
- A certified copy of your matric term results
- A certified copy of your matric certificate
- A certified copy of your full tertiary academic record
- Full academic record, if currently at tertiary level (on tertiary letterhead)
- Proof of acceptance to study at a recognised university (on tertiary letterhead)
- Proof of financial need (parent/guardian payslip or affidavit)
- Motivation letter for chosen field of study. Here is a comprehensive guide to writing a motivation letter.
Short-listed candidates are then interviewed and successful candidates will be awarded the bursaries.
Closing Date Of The Rio Tinto / Richards Bay Minerals (RBM) Bursary
Applications for our 2023 Bursary Programme close on 23 September 2022.
Richards Bay Minerals
Post: The Farm RBM PO Box 401 Richards Bay 3900 South Africa
Tel: +27 35 901 3111
Fax: +27 35 901 3442
Rio Tinto Procurement – South Africa
Post: PO Box 757550 Sandton, Johannesburg South Africa 2146
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/