Sappi was founded in South Africa in 1936 as paper producer for newsprint, business papers, packaging ang specialty paper industries. The company also manufactures dissolving wood pulp (DWP), which are used to create viscose fibre for fashionable clothing and textiles, acetate tow, pharmaceutical products and consumer and household products. Sappi develops products to meet the demand for newsprint, uncoated graphic and business papers, packaging and speciality papers and tissue products for household, business, medical and industrial use in the country.
Sappi Bursaries 2024
Sappi encourages bright students to join the company’s bursary opportunities to support young South Africans with their studies in line with real-world business needs. The bursary is open to Engineering and Forestry qualifications.
The following fields of study are accepted for the bursary:
- Chemical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Civil Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Electrical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Forestry and Wood Science (BSc)
- Industrial Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Mechanical Engineering (BSc or BEng)
- Mechatronics Engineering (BSc or BEng)
The bursary covers allowance and tuition fees. The household income of the students will decide the bursary value. The applicants have to meet the minimum criteria set by the panel to achieve the bursary. Selected candidates can partake in vacation work during December and July holidays to grow their expertise. They will also be allowed to participate in different Engineering programs.
The latest university results will be considered for undergraduate students and preference will be given to applicants with an average of 75% and above in Mathematics and Physical Science.
Sappi Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
The following criteria need to be sufficient to be considered eligible for the bursary
- The candidate must be a South African citizen aged between 17 and 25 years.
- The applicant must have completed the Matric examination or is pursuing the Matric; if the applicant has completed the Matric, they must receive a minimum of 70% in Mathematics, Physical Science, and 60% in English.
- The applying candidate must pursue a full-time degree course in one of the courses mentioned in an accredited and recognized University of South Africa.
- Students residing near the main business area of Sappi will be given preference.
How to Apply and Application Details
Applications must be submitted online at: Sappi Bursary Application 2024
- Submit clear copies of the following supporting documentation along with your online application
- A copy of your matric certificate and any other academic qualifications you may have
- Proof of your registration or provisional registration at an academic institution
- A copy of your academic record to date
- A recent curriculum vitae (CV)
- A copy of your South African identity document
- Proof of income or an affidavit stating your total household income.
Shortlisted candidates will go through the interview process and will be required to complete psychometric assessments.
Opening and Closing Date
The closing date of Sappi Engineering Bursary is 30 August 2023. Applications submitted past the given deadline will not be considered by the bursary panel.
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact Sappi directly:
Tel: 011 407 8111
Contact page: https://www.sappi.com/contact-us
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/