To ensure the success of a nation it is necessary to encourage skillful and hard-working youth to participate in the required fields. To make up for the scarcity of skilled individuals, many institutions are offering bursary/scholarships programs to assist the youth.
If Engineering and Science is your area of interest, then the Sasol Bursary can help you to build a successful career.
Founded in Sasolburg, South Africa in 1950, Sasol Ltd. is one of the leading chemicals and energy companies across the globe. The company leverages years of expertise to integrate top-class processes and technologies into their operating systems.
Sasol Ltd. is a public company that is listed on both- the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) in the U.S. as well as on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) in South Africa.
Their ‘chemicals’ niche features base chemicals and performance chemicals that aim to keep up with the growing demands of the consumer. On the other hand, their energy business revolves around Mining and Liquid and Gas Fuels with the main objective of offering innovative and latest mobility and energy solutions. It strives to reduce greenhouse gas emissions in South Africa by developing gas and renewables.
Sasol Bursaries 2022 – 2023
Seeing the lack of opportunities for talented candidates across the globe and in South Africa, Sasol Ltd. wants to ensure there’s a consistent scope of skills and opportunities for candidates to evolve and contribute to the country’s growth. Sasol Bursary programmes are exclusively for the South African students wanting to hone up their skills and talent to help Sasol Ltd. meet their operational and strategic goals.
Sasol Ltd. is one of the leading employers in the Chemicals and Energy industry, and also has been voted as ‘Employer of Choice’ for 5 consecutive years by graduates on the SAGEA employer survey. It offers various programmes to aid the development journey of graduates and scholars.
For the academic year 2023, Sasol invites candidates to apply for their Bursary Programme for undergraduate and postgraduate studies in Technology, Science and Engineering Fields. The fields covered are as follows:
Undergraduate University fields:
Undergraduate bursaries are offered towards bachelor’s degree (BSC or BEng) for full-time studies at an accredited South African University. Following are the fields covered:
- Chemical Engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Electronic engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Chemistry (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Civil Engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Electrical Engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Mechanical Engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Mining Engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Industrial Engineering (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Metallurgy (B.Eng. / B.Sc.)
- Data Science (Computer Science / Operations Research / Mathematics / Statistics)
- Geology (Honors degree is a must criteria for Sasol)
Undergraduate University of Technology fields:
This bursary is offered to candidates willing to study a Bachelor of Technology or a National Diploma at the University of Technology for S1 study level within South Africa. It covers the following fields:
- Mine Surveying (BEng Tech)
- Process Instrumentation
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Applied Mathematics (MEng / MSc/ PhD)
- Statistics (MEng / MSc / PhD)
- Cyber Security (MEng / MSc / PhD)
- Chemical Engineering (MEng / MSc / PhD) (Thermodynamics / Mathematical and Statistical Modelling / Reactor Technology / Process Modelling / Separation Technology / Fluid Dynamics)
- Chemistry (MEng /MSc /PhD )
Bursary Coverage Value
Sasol Bursaries provide comprehensive cover for the following expenses: tuition, course fees, room and board. The bursary will also provide developmental support throughout the recipients studies. This means that you will be able to gain a better understanding of your chosen field or career while still receiving financial assistance.
For Undergraduate University Bursary: Registration fees, Tuition fees, Book & pocket money, Meal allowance, Accommodation money, A once-off Computer and Calculator allowance, Work opportunities – based on Company needs, Development opportunities, Psyche-social support (Student discussions / Workshops / EAP – Employee assistance programme @ Sasol etc.)
For Postgraduate University bursary: monthly stipend will cover registration fees, tuition fees, research costs, and all other expenses associated with studying. Bursary recipients will also receive access to Sasol technical mentors for support during their studies.
For University of Technology bursary: 100% of the prescribed University of Technology tuition fees, registration fees and exam fees, An amount equal to the average rate for accommodation in a single room at a University of Technology residence at which the Sasol bursar is studying, This rate is determined by Sasol in conjunction with the university, An amount for meals based on three meals per day, as determined by the University of Technology, Book and pocket money.
Bursary Selection and After Graduation
Selected candidates will be contacted and invited for an interview. Assessments will be conducted online by a structured panel interview as well as psychometric tests. Postgraduate applicants will also be assessed based on their research proposals.
After graduating from undergraduate university or university of technology, students will be required to work for Sasol for the duration of their bursary funding.
After graduation, postgraduate students will be able to join the Sasol Graduate Development programme as a Scientist-in-Training or Engineer-in-Training.
Eligibility Criteria For The Sasol Bursary
Candidates must fulfill the following criteria:
For Undergraduate Bursary:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must have completed Matric or be in Matric
- Science students must be willing to opt for an Honors degree
- Candidates must be interested in studying at an accredited University; not at the private ones
- Students must be willing to study towards one of the fields of bachelor’s degree stated above
- First-year students or Matric students must have passed all subjects with a minimum result of 60%, 70% for Mathematics & Physical Science and 60% for English.
- Candidates who’ve passed 1st year or are currently in 1st year must have a minimum of 50% result in all subjects as of 2019.
For University of Technology:
- Must be in Matric or have completed Matric
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must be willing to study for S1 study level
- Candidate must have achieved a minimum result of 60% in English, Science and Mathematics in Matric
- Students must be willing to study at an accredited University for a Degree or Diploma in South Africa
For Postgraduate Bursary:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must have completed Matric
- Must have completed an Undergraduate degree
- Applicants must have a satisfactory academic record
- Must be willing to study at an accredited University
- Must not have any previous criminal record
- Must be willing to study towards a PhD or Masters’ degree for full-time
How to Apply?
Candidates must submit application forms online ONLY via Sasol’s official website:
For New Users (who’ve not registered to Sasol Bursary Website):
- Interested candidates must visit this link here at https://sasolbursaries.com/register and register for the bursary.
- After registration, you will receive an email with ‘Activate Account’ link
- Go to the link, verify your email ID and create a password
- After verification of your email, you can log into the Sasol bursary space through https://sasolbursaries.com/login.
- Enter your email ID and password and continue to login
- On the top left corner, you’ll see ‘South African Bursary Application’. Click on it.
- Choose your desired Bursary programme (Undergraduate or Postgraduate)
- Fill up the application form accurately.
- Read the disclaimer carefully and Accept it
- You will get an email after filling up the application. Once you get this email, you can now close the application.
Candidates who are already registered at the Sasol Bursary website can simply log into the website and fill up the application form.
Candidates are required to attach the following documents along with the application form:
- Certified copies of Grade 11 final results, if studying in Matric
- Certified copy of ID document
- Certified tertiary records (if any)
- Proof of acceptance from the University or University of Technology
- Postgraduate students must attach a research project proposal along with a summary of the project
Important Note: False information, late applications or incomplete applications, applications submitted by email, hard copy or not through Sasol’s official website will be automatically rejected.
Closing Date Of The Sasol Bursary
The closing date for the Sasol Bursary is 27 May 2022 (by 16:00 hrs.)
Contact Details Of The Bursar
For any queries related to the Sasol Bursary, you may contact Berlyne Rasool at:
Phone: 086 010 6235
If the bursary has already been closed, please do not make any queries. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/