The American Association of University Women (AAUW) was founded in 1881. It’s an organization that advances equity and education for women and girls through advocacy, philanthropy and research. AAUW members address the fundamental issues of the day such as educational, social, economic, and political matters.
The nonprofit organization has more than 170 000 members and supporters, 1000 local branches and 800 college and university partners.
AAUW International Fellowship Program
AAUW’s International Fellowship program was established in 1917. International Fellowships are awarded for full-time graduate and postgraduate study or research at accredited U.S. institutions to women.
Five International Fellowships for master’s/first professional degrees will be renewable for a second year. Successful candidates are selected for academic achievement and commitment to women and girls.
Recipients will be obliged to return to their home countries to become leaders and motivators in business, government, education, community activism, arts and sciences.
A limited number of grants are available to members of Graduate Women International for study or research in any country other than their own and the US.
The fellowship award amounts are $18 000 for Master’s/first professional degree, $20 000 for Doctoral and $30 000 for Postdoctoral.
International Fellowship fund covers educational expenses, living expenses, dependent child care and travel to professional meetings, conferences, or seminars, as long as it does not exceed 10 percent of the fellowship.
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Non-US citizen or non-US permanent resident; Dual citizenship in the US are not eligible
- Academic degree holder
- Full-time students
- Intend to return to her home country to pursue a professional career
- English proficiency or have recent ETS TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) score of 550 minimum for Paper-Based Test (TOEFL PBT), 79 minimum for Internet-Based Test (TOEFL iBT), 60 minimum for Revised TOEFL Paper-Delivered Test. Institutional TOEFL scores and other English proficiency test scores such as IELTS will not be accepted.
- Postdoctoral applicants must provide proof of their doctorate degree
- Master’s/first professional degree and doctoral applicants must be enrolled in a U.S. accredited institution
- Applicants must be conducting a full year of study or research
- Previous recipients of any AAUW national fellowship or grant are not eligible
- Members and officers of the AAUW Board of Directors are not eligible
- Unsuccessful applicants may reapply
How to Apply and Application Details
Create an account online at https://aim.applyists.net/Account/LogOn?ReturnUrl=%2fAAUW
Follow the directions carefully and complete all sections of the application. Only complete online applications will be considered.
Opening & Closing Date
Usually, applications for AAUW International Fellowships are open on August 1 and closes on November 15 every year.
Address: AAUW National Office 1310 L Street NW, Suite 1000 Washington, DC 20005
E-mail: [email protected]
To get additional information about this bursary, click here.