AIMS (African Institute for Mathematical Sciences) was established in 2016 in Rwanda and is one of the excellence centres formed under the AIMS Global Network. It is a centre for postgraduate training and research in mathematical sciences.
AIMS was established in 2003 by the renowned physicist Professor Neil Turok and has created excellence centres in Ghana, Rwanda, Cameroon and Senegal.
AIMS Rwanda Postdoctoral Fellowship 2022
Dr Jan Hazla from AIMS Rwanda and Professor Nicola Kistler from Goethe University are offering students a postdoctoral fellowship at the AIMS Rwanda research centre located in Kigali. The fellowship is funded and offered by DAAD with the sponsorship of the Federal Ministry of Education and Research in Germany. The purpose of the scholarship is to promote global education cooperation with academic exchanges.
The scholarship offers the following benefits:
- The fellowship is for one year but can be extended to another year if the student’s performance is extraordinary.
- Monthly stipend of 2.000 EUR for the stay in Germany and 1.850 EUR for the stay in Rwanda.
- Cost of travel, if applicable.
- Cost of Health Insurance.
- Additional benefits are provided for mobility when beginning and ending the scholarship in Rwanda, as well as research stays at Goethe University during the fellowship.
Note for the fellowship holders:
Fellows are expected to publish their results in peer-reviewed journals and conferences, actively participate in the research activities of the German research chair, and contribute to the implementation of cooperation between the chair and the University of Goethe in Frankfurt. It has been. Scholarship recipients are also expected to participate in AIMS Rwanda’s academic programs. Scholarship recipients will be connected to AIMS Rwanda but will be encouraged to stay in Germany for research
The candidate must check the eligibility criteria before applying for the scholarship. There should not be any exception or the application will be rejected.
- The candidate must hold a PhD degree in mathematical sciences. The candidate must not have graduated from PhD more than 6 years ago.
- The candidate must be enthusiastic and have a background in any of the following areas.
- Coding Theory.
- Theoretical computer science and related areas.
- Theory of spin glasses.
- Social choice theory and opinion formation.
- The candidate having any of the following skills will be prioritised
- research experience in any of the fields mentioned above.
- Good at coding (eg: Matlab/Mathematics, python etc.)
- The candidate must have good English Language skills.
- The candidate with South African Citizenship will be prioritised.
- Candidates from underprivileged communities and females are welcome to apply.
How to apply?
The applications are to be submitted via email at Jan.firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The candidate must take care of the following while sending the application:
- The subject line for the email must be “DAAD postdoc application”.
- The form should be sent in one PDF file.
If the instructions are not followed, the application will be rejected.
All the mentioned documents must be attached to the application.
- Well-devised curriculum vitae.
- Certified copy of the PhD certificate.
- Certified copy of the ID documents or passport.
- A statement describing the candidate’s research and motivation. It should not be more than 1-2 pages.
- Two reference letters. The candidate must mention the name and email address of the said referees as they will be contacted regarding the reference.
The applications will be closed on 15 May 2022. Interested candidates must complete the application before the deadline to avoid rejection.
The applications will not be processed before 15 April 2022.
Any queries can be sent via email at:
You can check the updates here.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/
Don’t miss out on current updates, kindly like us on Facebook & follow us on @AllBursariesSA Twitter account OR leave a comment below for further inquiries.
(This Bursary/Scholarship Listing Last Updated on May 12, 2022)