About the Academic and Non-Fiction Authors’ Association of South Africa (ANFASA)
Originally formed as an association for writers of academic and non-fiction works, ANFASA also welcomes fiction authors as members as it regards the voices of all authors as being an integral part of the country’s democracy and future.
ANFASA was established to empower authors by protecting their intellectual property rights, promoting their work, and offering expert advice on writing and publishing. Through enhancing the profile and status of authors in South Africa, ANFASA supports the government’s initiatives to keep the country’s vibrant heritage and culture of storytelling alive, create a nation of readers with enquiring minds and build the country’s publishing industry. Academic and non-fiction writers are funded by ANFASA through its grant application process.
ANFASA Bursary Grant Scheme 2021
The ANFASA Bursary Grant Scheme for Authors is for aspiring student authors, specifically those who are currently researching for or writing their own pieces.
The value of this bursary is around R30,000. Those who receive this bursary must use the funds for the purposes of research and writing.
By December 2020, the selection committee will reach out to the successful applicants. Those who don’t receive any response of feedback by this time can consider their application unsuccessful.
ANFASA Bursary Grant Scheme 2021 Requirements and Eligibility
Before applying to this bursary, interested applicants must first make sure that they meet the minimum criteria:
- Must be currently working on a scholarly or general non-fiction piece that isn’t a drama, a novel or poetry.
- New authors may apply – applications for books that authors will write in their official language may get considered.
- Must be a member of ANFASA. For interest applicants who are non-members, they can visit the membership page of the official website, download the membership form, and submit it along with their application.
- Young authors who are in the process of starting their careers may apply too.
Applicants who do not satisfy all of these requirements won’t get considered for this bursary.
How to Apply and Application Details
Interested applicants can apply in two ways:
First, they can apply online at https://www.anfasa.org.za/anfasa-grant-scheme-for-authors-agsa-application-form-for-a-grant/
Second, they can download the application form online and complete it. After completion, email the form to: [email protected] along with the following supporting documentation:
- Personal information including the complete name, gender, date of birth, address, contact number, details about employment, and ANFASA membership details.
- Details about the project that the applicant is currently working on including the title of the book, an outline, a sample of the applicant’s written work, their target audience, their motivation, any similar books, and any details about the work that they have already published.
- Details about the funding including the type of funding needed, details about any other scholarships or sponsorships, and the applicant’s motivation for sending an application.
In the subject line of the email, use the phrase, “AGSA ANFASA Grant Scheme – Your Full Name.”
31 July 2020
Address: 4th Floor, SAMRO Place, 20 De Korte Street, Braamfontein
Telephone Number: 027 11 403 0027
E-mail: [email protected]