If you are a South African student and a resident then you can look out for various bursaries around you. If you wish to achieve a career goal but do not have the means to fulfill your dreams then a bursary can come to your rescue.
The ASSET bursary is one such program that is aimed at assisting the students to reach their academic goals.
About Association for Educational Transformation (ASSET)
The existence of the Association for Educational Transformation (ASSET) dates back to 1972. The organization functioned under SAIRR (South African Institute of Race Relations) back then. It has been assisting disadvantaged students for a long time by funding their educational requirements. This organization is known to fund 500 students every year who need finances to complete their education.
In 2003, ASSET was formed (a non-profit organization) in Western Cape Town, South Africa. Donations are received not only from local and national sources but from international donors too.
ASSET Bursary Program: An Overview
If you are interested in pursuing higher education but lack funds then this bursary program can help you. The ASSET bursary is awarded to students who wish to complete their higher certificate/degree/diploma qualification at specified universities.
The bursary value varies and is intended to cover any field of study. The amount is directly paid to the institution on behalf of the student. Students are selected for the bursary based on their merit and academic performance.
The bursary amount covers a portion of the registration fees, tuition charges, and textbooks.
Bursary Coverage & Renewal
- Undergraduate students shall continue to receive the bursary for the entire duration of their course. However, only those students who perform consistently well will receive the assistance year after year.
- Though students are not required to pay back the bursary, they should join the ASSET Alumni Association. They can occasionally assist in the office or with any other program.
- The bursary is granted to students based on the means test. This test is the basis for deciding the eligibility for government financial assistance as per the family income.
- Students are required to apply for other assistance and bursaries too as ASSET receives a large number of applications and may not accept all of them.
- The decision to grant bursary is made by the selection committee.
Bursary Eligibility Criteria
Only those students who fulfill the eligibility requirements will be considered for the bursary. Failure to meet the criteria set by the organization will lead to the rejection of the application.
- Students must be a citizen of South Africa
- Applicants must either be in matric or completed matric
- Students must be residing within Western Cape province
- One must intend to study towards any full-time undergraduate, diploma, or certificate qualification.
- Students must be studying towards their first qualification
- Be willing to study or already studying at a University or the University of Technology within the province of Western Cape like the UCT, UWC, SUN, or CPUT. Students must not be enrolled at a private institution or FET College.
- One must also meet the eligibility criteria at the University or University of Technology.
- Those students who have financial needs will be given preference.
- Students must secure above-average results for their relevant field of study.
- Students who have attended private schools but have secured University entrance will be preferred.
- Those from rural areas, informal settlements, and disadvantaged communities will be given a chance first.
- To receive this bursary students must have impressive attendance and should prove their commitment to the ASSET leaner development program.
How to Apply?
- First-time applicants can download the ASSET Bursary Application Form for New Applicants and fill it to apply for the bursary.
- Existing bursary holders also need to download and fill the ASSET Bursary Renewal Application Form.
- Once you fill the form attach the documents as asked. Those students who fail to attach all the documents will not be considered for the bursary.
- Applications can be submitted to the institution in the following ways:
Association of Educational Transformation (ASSET)
5 Long Street, Mowbray
7700 Western Cape
- Certified copy of ID document
- Final results of grade 11, matric mid-year results (if currently in Matric)
- Certified copy of Matric results, if matric completed.
- Mid-year tertiary results (certified) in case final results are not available
- Academic transcripts of students who are in the 2nd to the final year of studies
- Certified copy of household income proof
- Motivational Letter
The last date of application is 30 September 2021
Telephone: +27 (0) 21 685 1025
Please do NOT contact Association for Educational Transformation (ASSET) if this bursary has already closed. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/