Education is the foundation of a nation’s bright future. By helping financially backward students, the Government of France aids them in fulfilling their career goals. The Embassy of France scholarship is awarded to students of South Africa for completing their degree in any desired field of study.
About the Embassy of France
Campus France is an agency that aims to boost French Higher education and encourage academic exchange between global and French tertiary institutions. For fulfilling this purpose, it lends a helping hand in the form of scholarships to students and researchers to pursue postgraduate studies (Master’s & Ph.D.) in France.
The institution has joined hands with French business houses in South Africa as well as South African organizations to achieve their goal.
Overview of France-South Africa Scholarship Program
The France-South Africa scholarship program is for South African students who wish to study in universities or higher education institutions in France and achieve a masters or Ph.D. degree. Both South African and Lesothan students can apply for this bursary program for the academic year 2022.
This type of scholarship covers tuition fees (5000 euros per year), return flight to France, monthly allowance (700 euros for master’s students and 1400 euros for Ph.D.), and accommodation aid (150 euros per month) from the French government. Additionally, students also receive visa fee exemption, priority for student housing access, assistance by campus France Paris, and social security.
Cost Sharing Scholarship
Under this type of scholarship, students are entitled to receive monthly allowance fully or partially by a partner. The rest of the bursary benefits will be provided by the Embassy of France.
Such a scheme of partial scholarship can be proposed by the student during the application process or it can be initiated by the Advisory Board too.
Time limit of scholarship
- Students applying for master’s degree are awarded a scholarship for 10-22 months. After the completion of one year, the embassy may renew the scholarship for the next year depending upon the student’s academic performance.
- D. Students are awarded the scholarship for a maximum of 3 years depending upon their performance.
- D. students under co-supervision are granted the scholarship only for the period that they spend in France.
- If a course requires students to spend time outside France, they must specify this information in their application.
Eligibility Requirements for This Scholarship
Only those students who fulfill the eligibility criteria can apply for the bursary program:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa or a Lesothan citizen
- Must be under 33 years of age as of 1 Jan 2022.
- Should intend to study a master’s or Ph.D. degree in any field of choice.
- Students who wish to study in the field of Science, technology, and Engineering as well as niche courses not available in South Africa will be preferred.
- Students must be willing to study at a university or higher education institution in France.
- One must intend to start studying in September 2022
- Application form duly filled
- The latest copy of resume/curriculum vitae
- Certified copy of passport
- A covering letter mentioning the interests and motivations in the chosen academic field
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree certificates
- University transcripts of last 2 years
Documents to be submitted by Master’s students:
- A list of study programs that the student intends to apply along with application dates and tuition fees
- Proof of acceptance to be stated in the application
- Email correspondence with the French institution to be mentioned during the application process
Documents that Ph.D. students must submit:
- An attestation signed by the supervisor committing to supervise your thesis, or
- If under co-supervision, an attestation signed by 2 supervisors (South African and French) stating their commitment to supervise your thesis in South Africa and France.
- Detailed information and description about the research project and work plan (2-3 pages long)
- Language proficiency certificates
- Letter of commitment from the organization willing to share the scholarship cost
- Academic and professional recommendation
Students can apply online for the Embassy of France in South Africa Scholarship. Before initiating the application process students are required to register an account. Only after registering the account candidates can log in and start the application process.
The last date for submitting the application is 21 September 2021
For queries and concerns related to this bursary students can contact the Embassy of France at: https://www.southafrica-france-scholarships.com/contact-us