About SA-GER Centre for Development Research
The South African-German Centre for Development Research aims to produce future-proof leaders who can stand up to the social, economic, and political challenges brought on by the development process. The Centre offers research-oriented programmes that come from the fields of social science (e.g. political science, macroeconomics) administrative science, and economics.
SA-GER Centre for Development Research Scholarships 2022
Suitably qualified students in the Sub-Saharan region are invited to submit their application to receive scholarship assistance in pursuit of their master’s degree study in any of the following fields:
- MA in Public Administration
- MA in Development Studies
- MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme)
Beneficiaries are set to receive a 650-Euro monthly allowance and will have access to other scholarship benefits such as tuition and registration fee coverage.
Scholarship Requirements and Eligibility
For MA in Public Administration and Development Studies applicants:
- Applicants are expected to thoroughly review the specific admission requirements as well as application procedures of their chosen programme
- Must be a resident of any Sub-Saharan country
- Must have attained nothing lower than 70% in most recently completed degree (within the last six years)
- Previous study must be relevant to Public Administration or Development Studies and completed at a well-known university
- South African applicants will need to possess an honours qualification to apply
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English
- Preferably with work or voluntary background in their field of interest
- Must be available for full-time study
For MA in Development Management applicants:
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree qualification in social science, political science, geography, economics, law or any other qualification relevant to development programme evaluation and planning
- Certified background in, or relevant to development programmes/projects management for over one month, or teaching and research obtained from an institution of higher learning
- Minimum TOEFL proficiency of 79-180 iBT or 213 CBT, or IELTS Band 6.0
How to Apply and Application Details
Eligible applicants who wish to apply will need to fill out an online application form. Be sure to have the following support documents ready before accomplishing the application form. Keep in mind that the online application form can only be submitted once, so be absolutely certain it is complete before submitting.
For MA in Public Administration and Development Studies applicant:
- Application letter highlighting the candidate’s motivation for applying
- Copy of valid passport
- A comprehensive CV showing work history as an employee or intern (Be sure to use a europass CV form)
- Copy of academic records from the most recent university attended
- Certified copy of academic certificates ( if graduation comes after the application deadline, submit a letter from concerned authorities confirming applicants graduation by the end of 2021
- Academic reference, as well as a professional reference (if applicable). Referees may send their reference separately with the applicant’s name to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A one-page report paper (in e-form) talking about any of the three topics below
- Write critical notes on how inequality can be measured. What do you think are the root causes of inequality in your country?
- What do you see as the possibilities for a successful Developmental State model any African country of your choice?
- What are the primary causes of migration and how can it be resolved?
Note: All essay submissions will be checked for plagiarism and any application found to contain plagiarized content will not be accepted.
Shortlisted applicants will receive an interview invitation which will take place six to eight weeks after the application deadline. Interviews will be done either on-site, over the phone, or via Skype.
For MA in Development Management applicants:
- Letter of motivation
- CV using a europass template. Access and fill out the form here
- Submit the following certificates:
- University certificates indicating academic title received, as well as single marks achieved (full academic transcript)
- Language certificates which indicate level of English (and German, if applicable) proficiency at the time of application
- Proof of current or previous employment or other relevant work experience
- Passport photo
- Copy of ID card or passport
- Two recommendation letters (professional and academic)
Eligible applicants will need access the University’s online application platform to apply for the scholarship.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to read the MA in Development Management application guidelines before applying.
For MA in Public Administration and MA in Development Studies applicants, the deadline for submission of applications is on 20 June 2021.
MA in Development Management applicants have until 31 December 2021 to submit their application.
MA in Public Administration
MA in Development Studies
Institute for Social Development
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17, Bellville
7535Cape Town, Republic of South Africa
Tel: 002721 959 3845
MA in Development Management
Dr. Anne Siebert
Tel: +49 (0)234 / 32-19024