About South African Translators’ Institute
The South African Translators’ Institute (SATI) was established in 1956 and is an institution for language practice professionals in South Africa. SATI aims to promote the interests of the translation and language industry, to establish a culture of multilingualism and to develop a tradition of translation and interpretation in the South African languages.
South African Translators’ Institute (SATI) Bursaries
SATI bursaries are limited and it is of importance that successful candidates are thoroughly qualified and has a high chance of contributing to the development of language practices. Applicants who have previous SATI awards, language skills as well as professional engagement in the language fields are also considered. Bursaries offered by SATI do not cover the full costs of a course of study, hence, the potential grantees are required to prove they have other means and have other fundings to cover any remaining amounts related to their course. Bursaries are released in two installments: 50% at the beginning of the year and the other 50% in the second semester subject to the grantee’s first-semester results.
SATI will grant one or two bursaries of R20 000 each in 2018. First-year and postgraduate students are not eligible for the SATI bursaries.
SATI Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
- Proven financial need
- A proven grantee of other educational funding to cover other remaining fees (except for fees applied for SATI bursary) is a must
- Enrolled at a tertiary institution for formal training in translation and other aspects of language/linguistics practice
- Minimum 65% average mark in their studies in 2017
- South African citizenship
- Ability to work in combinations of the official languages
How to Apply and Application Details
- Students who meet the minimum eligibility criteria can request a copy of the application form by emailing: [email protected]
- Attach the following document together with the application form:
- Copy of matric certificate and any other academic qualifications documents
- Proof of registration at an academic institution
- Copy of academic record to date
- Submit completed application through email: [email protected] or through fax: 0866 199 133
28 February 2020.
Address: 1710, Rivonia, 2128
Tel: 011 803 2681
Fax: 7 0866 199 133
Email: [email protected]