About Varsity College
Varsity College is one of the leading colleges in South Africa. It also happens to be the largest registered higher education provider in the country.
The college, which is part of the Independent Institute of Education, runs six schools under it, namely:
- School of Management
- School of Finance and Accounting
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences
- School of Information Technology
- School of Education
- School of Law
Varsity College has 8 campuses throughout the country, one in each of the following cities:
- Cape Town
- Durban North
- Durban Westville
- Nelson Mandela Bay
- Waterfall (Midrand)
The college also provides distance education for students who wish to learn off-campus.
IIE has a vested interest in improving the education sector in South Africa. And the bursary is a part of that interest.
About IIE’s Varsity College Scholarship Programme 2022
Each year, IIE sponsors a certain number of students to come and study at one of the Varsity College campuses at a minimal cost.
For the year 2022 academic year, Varsity College will select 180 bright candidates and award them with scholarships amounting to R25 million.
The scholarship programme has two categories, which are:
- Excellence Scholarship
- Achiever Scholarship
Excellent Scholarship is awarded to students who average at least 75% in Grade 11 or Grade 12. Or else, they must have scored 80% in four subjects, excluding Life Orientation.
For Achiever Scholarship, candidates are expected to have 60% in Grade 11 and Grade 12 at the minimum. Also, their household income shouldn’t exceed R 400,000 per annum.
The scholarship will pay for the full-time contact learning at the college. With each scholarship valued at between R30,000 to R50,000, it will cover the entire duration of the programme.
The amount, however, is not paid in full. It is renewed each year depending on the academic performance of the current academic year.
The Varsity College scholarships are limited in number. To select the best candidates, the college has eligibility requirements and a stringent screening process in place.
Eligibility criteria for the IIE Varsity College Excellence Scholarship Programme 2022:
- Either has completed Matric (or equivalent) or is currently in the final year
- Must academically satisfy one of the following:
- An average of 75% or more in Grade 11 if currently in the final year of Matric
- An average of 75% or more in Grade 12 if completed Matriculation
- An average of 80% or more for four subjects besides Life Orientation
- Must agree to study at Varsity College campuses full-time
- Entering the first year of an undergrad degree in 2022
- Must meet the eligibility requirements for the chosen field of study
Eligibility criteria for the IIE Varsity College Achiever Scholarship:
- Must be a South African citizen
- Must academically fulfill one of the following:
- An average of 60% or more in Grade 11 if currently in the final year
- An average of 60% or more in Grade 12 if completed Matriculation or equivalent
- Household income should be less than R400,000 per year
- Must intend to study at Varsity College full-time in 2022
- Must be entering 1st year of an undergrad programme in 2022
- Must fulfill all the eligibility criteria of the selected programme
How to Apply for the IIE Varsity College scholarship?
Here are the steps involved in applying for the IIE Varsity College scholarship:
- You’ll be studying at Varsity College for your undergrad programme. Therefore, you must apply for the programme first. Do so by completing the undergraduate application form.
- The next step is to complete and submit the scholarship application form. You can download the application form here, complete it, and upload it back to the portal. Or complete it on the Varsity College website.
- Applicants for the Achiever scholarship must write a letter of motivation of 600 words. It should clearly describe why they’re best suited to avail the scholarship. Also, explain the financial need in detail.
The final step is to submit the necessary documents. Here’s a list of documents you need to submit:
- Completed undergrad application form
- Completed scholarship application form
- Grade 11 and Grade 12 final results, if available
- Parents/guardians bank statements of last three months
- Parents/guardians household income statements (payslips, if employed, or affidavit, if unemployed)
- Parents/guardians tax certificate, if registered for taxation
- A declaration that parent or guardian is sole income earner if coming from a single income household
Upload all the documents by 1 October 2021. Applications post this date will not be accepted.
You need to contact the campus you intend to study at for more details. Here are the details of a few campuses:
- Cape Town
- Varsity House, Belmont Park
Belmont Road, Rondebosch 7700
- Tel – 021 685 5021
- Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Waterstone Drive, off Benmore Road
Benmore Gardens, Sandton 2196
- 011 784 6939
- Janadel Avenue
11 Riverview Park, Midrand 1686
- 010 224 4300
- 116 Clearwater Road, Cnr.
Clearwater & Glenwood Roads,
Lynnwood Glen, Pretoria 0081
- 012 348 2551
- Durban North
- 12 Radar Drive,
Durban North 4051
- 031 573 2038
- 1 Link Road, Cnr. St James Avenue
& Link Road, Westville 3630
- 031 266 8400
- Harwin Road, Scottsville
- 033 386 2376
- Nelson Mandela Bay
- 1st Floor, Mercantile Bank Plaza, Ring
Road Greenacres, Gqeberha 6045
- 041 363 4223