About Abe Bailey Trust
Sir Abe Bailey was born in 1864 in Cradock, Cape Colony. Bailey was a very active member of British Politics. He spent a lot of his time negotiating the relationship between South Africa and the United Kingdom. He used his skills of convincing and negotiating to bring peace between the English and the Africans.
Abe Bailey Travel Bursary 2022
This bursary was initiated to fulfil the terms of the Will of Sir Abe Bailey. This bursary provides funds for students or staff members from selected universities to be a part of your to the United Kingdom. The purpose of the bursary is to give the opportunity to South African students with exceptional academic and extramural records to showcase their leadership skills. It helps them understand various cultures at a deeper level and broaden their minds.
The bursary includes the cost of flights for a 3-week tour of England and Scotland.
Eligibility Criteria For The Abe Bailey Travel Bursary
All the interested candidates must pass the eligibility criteria for the bursary. All the mentioned criteria must be fulfilled without any exceptions to avoid rejection of the application.
- The candidate must be a South African citizen or they should be able to get a valid South African passport.
- The candidate must not be more than 25 years old.
- Have a strong academic record
- Have a proven record of community participation/ public service ethic
- A registered full-time student at a university in South Africa
- The candidate must be a student in the third year (and above) or they must be in the position of Junior Lecturer.
- The candidate must agree with all the conditions and objectives of the bursary.
- You must have good English language skills so it is easier for them to interact with their fellow travellers and people overseas.
- The candidate must be fit enough to endure walking tours and other activities.
- The candidate must not be late to join the tour if selected.
- The selected candidates are expected to complete the tour and participate enthusiastically in the activities.
- The candidates applying for any other bursaries should not apply for this bursary as the tour dates might clash with their interview dates.
- Any selected candidate, if married, will not be allowed to travel with their spouse.
How to Apply?
After the announcement of the bursary in their respective universities, interested students can apply through the university itself.
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- Tshwane University of Technology
- University of the Western Cape
- University of Venda
- University of Limpopo
- Nelson Mandela University
- University of the Free State
Note: If your university is not listed above, please contact their financial aid office for an application form.
Applications must include the following information:
- Personal information: Full name, date of birth, nationality, address
- Education information: School/s attended, extra-curricular activities at university, university degree/ diploma completed, courses and results
- Leadership: Information about leadership roles and social and community service
- Travel history: Brief outline of dates and purposes of any previous trips to the UK, if applicable
All the mentioned documents must be attached to the application to avoid disqualification.
- Name of the applicant.
- Address details of the applicant.
- Details of the school qualification and institutions.
- University education and diploma details.
- Details of Extracurricular activities and community services.
- Details of any previous visits to the United Kingdom.
- Two reference letters to validate the candidate’s suitability for the bursary and the academic, extracurricular and leadership records.
- A letter was written by the candidate describing their reason to apply for the bursary. It should elucidate their understanding of different cultures and their opinions on the issues regarding narrow-mindedness in terms of culture.
- Certified copy of ID documents.
- A certificate confirming that they are vaccinated against covid.
All the candidates must submit the application to their respective universities before the deadline as no late submissions will be considered valid for application.
Bursary application differs between universities:
- Tshwane University of Technology: 29 April 2022.
- University of KwaZulu-Natal: 6 May 2022.
- Tshwane University of Technology: 6 May 2022.
- University of the Western Cape: 10 May 2022.
- University of Venda: 13 May 2022.
- University of Limpopo: 13 May 2022.
- Nelson Mandela University: end May 2022.
- University of the Free State: not disclosed yet.
Applications submitted after this date will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.
Date Timeline Of The Bursary
- The bursary is announced in March by the trust and the universities are asked to submit three nominees.
- The application collection and shortlisting are done in April and May. The selected names are submitted by the end of May.
- Trust selects the bursars from the submitted nominees and informs them during June and July.
- The selected bursars will need to complete the acceptance and declaration in August.
- The tour starts in November.
Candidates can send their queries related to this bursary to your university vice-chancellor’s office or to the officer indicated by the V-C’s office directly.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/