About American University
American University is among the leading private universities in the USA based out of Washington DC. Its a chartered, research-oriented university with world-class facilities for research and development.
American University has several schools under it, which are:
- College of Arts & Science
- Kogod School of Business
- School of Communication
- School of Education
- School of International Service
- Professional Studies and Executive Education
- School of Public Affairs
- Washington College of Law
The university also has an emphasis on diversity. It encourages students from other countries to come and study in America. Here are various scholarship and financial aid programmes in place for international students.
AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship
The AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship is a scholarship programme for international students who want to pursue an undergraduate degree at the university. It’s a full-coverage scholarship that is awarded to one exceptional international student every year.
The scholarship programme started in 2011 to promote educational access and opportunity globally while enhancing international diversity at the campus.
The scholarship covers the entire education cost incurred by the international student. This includes the tuition fees, room charges, and board. However, non-billable expenses like health insurance, textbooks, and travel tickets are excluded. The student is expected to pay for them on his/her own. It’s recommended that the student has enough funds to cover miscellaneous expenses, which can be $4,000 per year. Please note that the estimated total expenditure for each candidate in the 2022-23 academic year is $70,464.
The scholarship is renewed every year. The scholar must produce satisfactory results to avail the coverage for subsequent years.
In case a student is not awarded the AU Emerging Global Leaders Scholarship and still continues with the application process, he/she might be eligible for partial merit scholarships. This requires showing proof of funds in excess of $4,000.
To be selected for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship programme, you must first fulfill the eligibility criteria. These are laid out by the American University to select the best candidate.
Here are the eligibility requirements for the AU Emerging Global Leader Scholarship 2022:
- An international student (not a US citizen, US dual citizen, or US permanent resident)
- Completed secondary education no earlier than 2020
- Scored at least 3.8 GPA out of 4 (or its equivalent) in 9th-12th grades (must be within top 10% of the graduating class)
- Have one of the following:
- 95+ TOEFL iBT (sub-scores must be 20 or above)
- Sub-scores of 24+ on paper-based TOEFL (tests must have been after May 31, 2017)
- 0+ IELTS
- SAT Reading score of at least 33
- ACT English score of at least 29
- Minimum PTE score of 65
- 120+ Duolingo
- A score of 185+ in Cambridge Assessment English (sub-scores must be 169+)
- A strong work ethic, leadership skills, volunteerism, and self-motivated
Priority is given to candidates who belong to underrepresented socioeconomic backgrounds. Students who are about to graduate by June 2022 are also eligible.
How to Apply?
If you want to pursue your undergrad degree in the US and are interested in the scholarship programme, consider applying for it. You need to go through a short application process and submit your candidature.
To get started, you must complete the AU EGLS application form at the Future Eagle portal. You’d be required to create an account and complete your profile.
Then you’d have to submit the Common Application or Coalition Application along with the supporting documents.
Next, you’d have to upload the following documents to the Future Eagle portal:
- AU certification of finance and a bank letter proving that you have a minimum of $4,000 in your account (must follow the CFIS form template)
- Copy of the official TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo English, PTE, or Cambridge Assessment English Test score result
Review your application one last time and submit it. Shortlisted candidates will get invitations for the next rounds, which involve telephonic interviews and essay writing. Only one candidate will be selected for the full coverage. Others may be eligible for partial merit scholarships.
The last date of application is 15 January 2022.
For more details regarding the scholarship programme, contact the admission department at email@example.com.
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/