The Cannon Collins RMTF scholarship program aims to encourage capable and bright students who have an interest in reforming social justice in Southern Africa. This scholarship is designed to grant monetary aid to needy students who have the zeal to do something for the betterment of the country.
About the RMTF Scholarships for Postgraduate Study in Education
The origin of the Canon Collins trust dates back to 1981. The founders of this educational trust for South Africa are Ethel De Keyser, (director of BDAF) and Cannon John Collins (founder of BDAF). The trust was named after Cannon Collins.
This trust aims to provide grants for higher education and research funding to transform society. Through their human rights association, the trust strives to empower the sidelined communities of South Africa. The main aim of their bursary program is to build a community of thinkers, activists, and leaders.
The Canon Collins Trust has joined hands with RMTF to assist exceptional individuals who are inclined towards social justice in South Africa. This bursary aims to support students who want to pursue postgraduate studies in the field of education.
The research study must focus on
- Improving the quality of education provided in Southern Africa
- Providing access to education in Southern Africa
RMTF Scholarships for Postgraduate: Eligibility Criteria
- Students must be a citizen or refugee in the countries of Botswana, Angola, Malawi, Zambia, Mozambique, Lesotho, and Swaziland.
- Applicant must be a resident in the above-mentioned countries
- Students must have minimum second class, upper division, or equivalent in the first degree or be about to graduate in the year of application.
- The applicant must already be studying or should have applied to study at South African University.
What does the scholarship provide?
- The scholarship is provided for 2 years for a Master’s degree and 3 years for a PhD.
- Students can choose to either opt for full-time or part-time study. One can also opt for distance learning.
- The value of the scholarship package is between R20, 000 to R 100,000 as per the circumstance of the student.
- Annual conferences and events are arranged that help the students to become a part of the network.
How to Apply?
Students who want to apply for the scholarship are required to fill out the online application form by clicking here.
In addition to the application form, the following documents should be attached.
- A copy of degree certificates
- ID document (passport, driver’s license, birth certificate)
- Proof of refugee status
- If employed proof of two recent pay slips
- PhD proposal (if applicable)
- Certified academic transcripts
Students applying for the bursary will be selected based on the following selection criteria:
- Work experience
- Academic record
- Leadership abilities
- Future Impact
- Aligning with the priorities of the trust
Things to keep in mind when applying:
- Certification of documents – Attach all the supporting documents that are required along with the application. Some of the important documents that you may have to attach include ID proof, income proof, academic certificates, etc. While attaching the supporting documents ensure that they are certified. You can get the certification done by any commissioner of oaths at the police station, bank, or post office.
- Apply within the stipulated time – The application for any bursary has to be made within the date specified by the institute. If you are posting the application send it in advance so that it reaches on time.
- Impressive and convincing motivational letter – There are thousands of applicants for the bursary and hence, it is important to distinguish yourself. While writing the motivational letter try to explain why you deserve the scholarship? How you can change the future? And In what ways you can contribute to society?
- Check your email and texts – Students who get selected for the bursary receive updates via email, phone call, or SMS. Make sure you don’t miss any important communication from the institution and keep a check on notifications.
Thus, if you are inclined towards contributing to the field of education then this bursary program can help you to achieve your career goals. This program provides wings to bright students so that they can enlighten the Southern African society and pave way for its success and development.
The closing date of application is 9 August 2021 by 3.00 p.m. GMT