The Canon Collins Trust has partnered with the Sol Plaatje educational program to provide monetary aid to deserving students.
About Canon Collins Sol Plaatje
Since 1981, the Canon Collins Trust has been providing scholarships to South African students. The trust offers both undergraduate and postgraduate scholarships for studying in South Africa, the UK, Ireland, and Malawi.
Solomon Tshekisho Plaatje was a renowned journalist in South Africa. He was also a translator, intellectual, linguist, politician, and writer. The South African Native National Congress (SANNC) was founded by him and he was also the first General Secretary there.
Institutions like the Sol Plaatje local municipality, the Sol Plaatje University, the Sol Plaatje Museum, and the library are some of the institutions named in his honor.
Canon Collins : Sol Plaatje Scholarship 2024
The Cannons Collins trust along with Sol Plaatje educational program aims to extend support and encourage the deserving students through their bursary program. They help those students who have an inclination towards social justice in Southern Africa and who need to secure a postgraduate degree to lay the foundation of an open and just society.
This Bursary covers postgraduate (Masters and Ph.D.) degrees in the following areas:
- Humanities: It includes literature, Anthropology, history, and Arts.
- Education policy and practice.
- Justice: This includes law, economics, politics, and the environment.
The field of climate justice will be given top priority. Scholarships related to climate justice can be applied in the field of science or applied science.
- The scholarship value varies between R20, 000 to R1, 00, 000. The exact amount is decided depending upon the financial situation of the student.
- Students who want to pursue a master’s degree will receive the scholarship for a maximum of 2 years.
- D. students are eligible to receive the scholarship for a maximum of 3 years.
- The scholarship amount will be renewed each year based on the performance of the student.
- Students receiving the scholarship are required to participate in the annual conferences and events that take place throughout the year. By participating in these events students will become a part of the bursary network and be able to contribute too.
Canon Collins Sol Plaatje Scholarship: Requirement & Eligibility
To be eligible for this bursary, students must fulfill the following criteria:
- Be a National of South Africa, Namibia, or Zimbabwe
- Have a refugee status in South Africa, Zimbabwe, or Namibia
- Students must be normally residents in one of the above countries.
- Must have completed matric
- Must be studying in or must have applied to study in South African University
- Should possess a good first degree or undergraduate qualification with second class, upper-division, or equivalent.
- Students must be studying in or intend to study Masters or Ph.D. either full-time, part-time or distance learning.
Interested students can apply online for the Canon Collins Sol Plaatje scholarship.
Before proceeding with the application, one must carefully go through the guidelines. While applying for the scholarship, students are also required to attach some documents, failure to which can lead to rejection of their application.
- Certified ID Proof like birth certificate, passport, or driver’s license
- Certified copy of degree certificates
- Refugee status of refugee students (certified document)
- Academic transcripts in certified form
- PhD proposal
- If employed, attach 2 payslips
Applicants will be shortlisted based on certain criteria as laid down by the trust.
- Excellent academic record
- Impressive references
- Students with a futuristic vision to contribute to open and just Southern African society
- Work experience
- Leadership ability of the students
- Students whose goals align with trust’s priorities
Once the candidates are shortlisted, they are required to submit the following documents:
- 2 convincing references ( 1 from your latest academic supervisor and 1 from your recent employer or 1 from voluntary work, or 2 from your academic references)
- Students applying for Ph.D. should submit a supporting letter from their supervisor.
Candidates will be intimidated via email about their selection. Shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview and thereafter an outcome shall be declared by the trust.
The last date for submitting the application is 29 August 2023, 3:00 pm GMT.
To get your application accepted ensure that you submit it before the closing date.
For any queries related to the bursary, you can contact Canon Collins at:
Tel: +44 020 3770 0395
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/