About Canon Collins Trust Mail & Guardian
The Mail & Guardian is a weekly newspaper and website in South Africa. The newspaper covers topics on South African news, political topics, popular culture, local arts, investigative reports and music. The Mail & Guardian is considered a newspaper of record in South Africa.
The Canon Collins Trust was established in 1981 to support education development in South Africa. It awards postgraduate scholarships to outstanding and meritorious individuals from South Africa. Since its inception, the Trust has awarded scholarships to more than 3000 postgraduate individuals including civil lawyers, doctors, educationalists, human rights lawyers, scientists and other professionals.
The Trust prides itself in helping postgraduate scholars who have emerged as future leaders in their respective fields including in government, civil and private sectors. The Trust is committed to cultivating a space to blend research and activism.
Canon Collins Trust Mail & Guardian Scholarship 2023
Canon Collins Trust is inviting students to apply for the Mail & Guardians Scholarship program for the academic year of 2023. The Scholarship covers Master studies in Communication, Journalism or Media studies at any South African university.
The scholarship aims to provide ample support to exceptional students committed to creating a change in South Africa. The Scholarship provides a platform for postgraduate qualifications who wish to strengthen their work resume and wishes to promote positive social impact through active human rights and education reforms.
The scholarship will cover the education cost during their course duration. Additional benefits also include a paid 12-month internship at the Mail & Guardian, and opportunities to enhance network and strengthen leadership and academic skills through organized workshops and events.
Applicants will be based on their academic results and their commitment to provoke a social impact. The Trust committee will assess the applicants on the following factors:
- Strong academic results and excellent references
- Work experiences contributing to their field of study
- Leadership competence of the candidate
- A strong commitment to create a positive impact on the society
- Should possess a good command of English
Eligibility Criteria For The Scholarship
Candidates must follow the following eligibility criteria before applying for the scholarship
- Must be a South African resident and a National of any South African country (Angola, Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Mozambique, Malawi, Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, or Zambia)
- Must possess excellent honours result (a minimum upper division, second class or equivalent)
- The applicant must be pursuing 2-year degree course or intent to pursue 1 year full-time Master’s course in Communication, Journalism or Media studies
- The candidate must be studying or have applied to a South African University
- The selected candidate needs to participate in the paid 12-month internship at the Mail & Guardian as a reporter.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated commitment to creating a positive impact in the educational and human rights sector in South Africa through volunteerism, work experience, or as an activist.
How To Apply For The Scholarship?
Please click on the link here to apply for Canon Collins Trust Mail & Guardian Scholarship 2023.
The applicants need to submit their applications online. Please read the Applicants Guidelines before filling out the application form.
Successful candidates will be contacted by the end of November and an interview will be held shortly.
To complete the application, you need to submit the following mandatory documents along with your application.
- Certified copies of ID documents (birth certificate, driver’s license or passport)
- Refugee status proof (if applicable)
- Residence proof
- Copies of degree certificates (if available)
- Certified copies of academic transcripts
- Proof of application or registration at an accredited and registered South African University
- 2 letters of reference
- If employed, 2 recent payslips
Closing Date Of The Scholarship
The closing date for Canon Collins Trust Mail & Guardian Scholarship 2023 is 1 November 2022 at 15:00 GMT. The applicants must submit their applications within the given deadline as failure to do so will lead to rejection of the application candidature.
If facing any queries regarding the scholarship, please contact
Tel no.: +44 020 8004 8362
Email address: email@example.com
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/