About the University of the Free State and Ida Manana Siyila
In 1904, the University of the Free State or UFS was established as (UFS) was first established as Grey College’s tertiary division. In its history, the university has undergone several name changes, including: University of the Orange Free State, University College of the Orange Free State, Grey University College and the present name i.e., the University of the Free State.
UFS has three campuses in South Africa’s Free State province:
- South Campus
- Qwaqwa Campus, and
- Bloemfontein Campus
The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes in the following faculties:
- Education, Humanities
- Health Sciences
- Economic and Management Sciences
- Open Distance Learning
- Natural and Agricultural Sciences
- Business School and
- Theology and Religion
An American family, for whom Ida Manana Siyila worked for over 30 years, established the Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship in her memory.
Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship 2022
The Scholarship will be offered for the minimum period necessary to achieve the Bachelor’s degree (generally 3-4 years, depending on the degree), but not more than 6 years. Female learners from previously disadvantaged backgrounds who (1) matriculated from any school in the province of the Free State in 2021, (2) are citizens of South Africa, and (3) have been accepted to study a degree course at the UFS are eligible. The scholarship is awarded to recognize both academic excellence and for leadership.
The Scholarship provides coverage for the registration fees, book costs, tuition fees, accommodation fees and meals. Scholarships are renewable each year and require the student to pass at least 80% of the modules in order to retain their scholarships.
Eligibility Criteria For The Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship
To qualify for the Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship 2022, the interested candidates must satisfy by following eligibility requirements:
- Applicants must be a citizen of South Africa
- You must be a female from a previously underprivileged background
- Applicants must have been accepted to study at any faculty of their choice at the University of Free State in the year 2022.
- A strong academic record is required with at least 36 UFS Admission Points (AP-score) on the Bachelor degree level.
- You must have completed your Matriculation in the Free State Province in the year 2021
- While you were in school, you must have demonstrated leadership or community service
- Applicants must be from a family with an annual household income less than R600 000 (before tax, including all pensions, grant money, salaries, etc.).
- Applicants who are eligible for NSFAS will not be considered.
How to Apply For The Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship?
Eligible candidates are required to download and fill out the Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship Application Form 2022.pdf
Make sure that the forms are either typed or filled in a Word or PDF document and not filled by hand.
Applications can be submitted in either of the following ways:
Applications along with soft copy required documents can be mailed to MacHeuTD@ufs.ac.za
For the email subject line use “Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship Application 2022”.
Or you can also hand-deliver your application at the address:
Student Financial Aid office,
Bloemfontein Campus, University of the Free State.
Successful candidates will get notified of their outcomes and the shortlisted candidates will be called for an interview.
Applicants must submit the following supporting documents along with their application form to qualify for the scholarship programme. Applications without the necessary documents will not be considered.
- Certified copy of your ID document
- Certified copy of your matric results
- A letter of acceptance to study at the University of the Free State in the University Letterhead
- Household income proof (salary slips or Bank Statements of last 3-months)
- In case of orphanage or emancipation, provide proof of your status (certified copy)
- Documents for address proof
- Written personal statement (should not be more than 3 pages). Use Times New Roman font size 12 to write the statement.
Guidelines for writing the personal statement:
- Describe yourself briefly explaining your educational achievements and what makes you eligible for the scholarship.
- Explain how you are involved in your academic program personally and actively.
- Write your learnings about community service and leadership.
- What are your most important values and how do you see them helping you during your time at university?
- Why and how did you decide on the course of study you wish to pursue? And what research did you undertake to make sure that your chosen course will best suit your strength and personality?
- What are your goals or ambitions at this point in your life?
Closing Date Of The Ida Manana Siyila Scholarship
The last date of application is 24 February 2022 at 17.00. Late submissions or incomplete applications will not be considered for the scholarship program.
For enquiries, you can directly mail or call the University of the Free State to Email: MacHeuTD@ufs.ac.za or call: 051 4012207
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/