About Mandela Rhodes Foundation
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation was initiated back in 2002, with the vision of establishing leadership capability in Africa through diverse programmes such as education and training opportunities as well as building a support network. The foundation is a combination of Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela’s and Cecil John Rhodes’ Education and Entrepreneurship legacy.
Mandela Rhodes Foundation Scholarship
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation invites qualified individuals to apply for the Mandela Rhodes scholarships programme each year. The MRF scholarship programme provides financial support for postgraduate studies as well as a leadership development programme that aims to strengthen leadership skills in Africa.
This scholarship is for postgraduate study (Honours and Masters’s degrees) in any field, except MBAs. The Scholarship must be taken up for study at any recognized South African institution of higher education.
The Scholarship covers:
- The tuition and registration fees as set by the institution
- Study materials allowance
- Accommodation, meal allowances, and medical aid allowances are all set by the MRF
- Economy-class travel allowance for international Scholars (only the fare from the Scholar’s home to their institution at the beginning and end of their degree) and
- A personal allowance set by MRF
The Mandela Rhodes Foundation does not pay for your application fees for university, or for the accreditation of your existing degrees through SAQA, which may be an entry requirement to your course. We also do not provide financial support for visa applications.
The MRF leadership development programme is made up of the three components such as residential workshops, regional group pods, and mentoring. Three residential workshops will be held by the Foundation for about five days each which will involve four principles of the MRF:
- Entrepreneurship and
These workshops will provide the opportunity for the scholars to interact with leaders and expert thinkers as well as create a sense of association and connection within the foundation and the broader Mandela Rhodes Community. Group pods are regional gatherings that intend to develop stronger local support networks, improve learning, and enhance scholars’ residential experience.
Mentoring is a voluntary programme by the Foundation to give scholars one-on-one reflection, advice, and growth, organize intergenerational networks among MRF scholars as well as serve as a way of giving back to the Foundation through the MRF scholar’s alumni. All these workshops and activities are required for all scholars.
Kindly check the Mandela Rhodes Foundation terms and conditions for further information and references about the scholarship program.
Scholarship Requirements and Eligibility
- Must be a South African Citizens Or Citizen from all the countries of the African continent
- Postgraduate students at South African universities or tertiary institutions
- Between the ages of 19 and 29 years old (and must be under the age of 30 at the time you take up the scholarship)
- Possession of a first degree or equivalent or must be in the process of completing one by upcoming year
- Must have above-average academic records
- Must intend on studying towards a Postgraduate qualification (Honours degree or Masters degree only).
- Must study at a recognised institution of higher education in South Africa
- Attendance to all compulsory elements of MRF’s leadership development programme which may occur during the week or on weekends.
- Must show potential to embody the MRF’s founding principles (education, leadership, entrepreneurship, reconciliation)
- Must have SAQA verification of your qualifications if you are shortlisted, not required for initial scholarship application (see if your qualification is SAQA verified at www.saqa.org.za
Note: Application to the chosen tertiary institution or university is the responsibility of the applicants and not of the MRFs.
How to Apply and Application Details
All applicants who meet the eligibility criteria must apply online at www.mandelarhodes.org/scholarship/apply.
Submit a clear copy of the following supporting documentation along with your completed application form:
- A certified copy of your ID document
- A certified copy of your passport, if not an SA citizen
- A certified copy of your Degree certificate
- Transcripts of your academic results
- Details of your proposed course of study (university application is not required, but it is recommended that you apply to more than 1 university ASAP)
- Three (3) recommendation letters from people who know you and your character well. (recommenders must submit their letters via the application platform before you can submit your full application)
- Two (2) short essays. One about your journey, and another one on a specific question regarding MRF principles.
* RELATED BURSARIES *
- View our other currently open Computer Science & IT Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Electrical Engineering Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Law Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Bursaries and Scholarships OPEN for application here.
Currently closed for application. Please check back later for the updated opening and closing date of this bursary.
Tel: 021 424 3346
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/