Milliman is a world leader in actuarial services, risk management, and other related technologies as well as data solutions. Milliman is offering the Milliman Opportunity Scholarship to help students of ethnic groups traditionally underrepresented in fields such as actuarial science, computer science, data science, programming, and economics.
Milliman Opportunity Scholarship 2023
This programme is managed by Scholarship America, one of the nation’s leading manager and designer of scholarships, tuition support, and other educational assistance programs for associations, foundations, corporations, and individuals.
Milliman determines eligibility for each program at its own discretion, and any applications that meet eligibility requirements are reviewed by Scholarship America’s team of evaluators.
Milliman will grant 15 to 25 awards of at least US$ 5,000 or more. There is no guaranteed renewal of awards, but students may reapply every year if they meet the eligibility requirements of the programmes.
These awards are only available to undergraduate students. Finalists will be selected by Scholarship America based on their academic records and the essays they submit.
Finalists will be selected by Milliman Inc. from the list of finalists. In selecting recipients, the Sponsor may take into account the student’s leadership skills and involvement in school or community activities, as well as their work experience, as noted in their applications. If enough qualified applicants apply, the recipients’ diversity will generally reflect that of the applicant pool as well.
Past recipients will be given preference. Applicants who meet the qualifications for 2022 will be considered for sponsorship for 2023. Not all applicants will be selected for the program. By applying, you agree that all decisions are final.
The scholarship payments are processed by Scholarship America on behalf of Milliman Inc. Funds are distributed in August to the school. Scholarship payments to students outside the USA and Canada are made by wire transfer.
The recipients as well as their educational institutions must meet the requirements for receiving funding from the United States, as stated by the Foreign Assets Control Office, US Department of the Treasury.
Note: The results will be announced at the end of June.
Eligibility Criteria For The Milliman Opportunity Scholarship
Applicants must fulfill the following minimum eligibility requirements to qualify for the Milliman Opportunity Scholarship programme.
- Belong to an ethnically qualified minority group as determined by Milliman:
- The US and Canada: An applicant must be from a family with at least one birth parent belonging to one of the following racial and ethnic groups: Native North American, African descent, Pacific Islander or Hispanic/Latino.
- Ireland and UK: Eligible applicants must have at least one biological parent who belongs to any of these groups: Black Caribbean, Black African, Gypsy or Irish Traveller.
- South Africa: Eligible applicants must have at least one biological parent who belongs to any of these groups: Coloured or Black.
- Australia: Eligible applicants must have at least one biological parent who belongs to any of these groups: Torres Strait Islander or Aboriginal.
- A student who is a resident of and attending a university in, the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, or South Africa.
- Have a strong academic record.
- Be a senior in high school or a current undergraduate (postsecondary) student. Students who are not from the US must be studying in the final year of higher secondary or upper secondary school or be currently pursuing university-level or technical studies.
- Consider enrolling in a full-time undergraduate programme at a recognized college or university. In the US, UK, Ireland, or Canada, students can enroll for the entire academic year 2023-2024. In Australia or South Africa, students can enroll for the entire academic year 2023-2024.
- Studying or intend to study a major degree in any of the following study fields:
- Computer science
- Actuarial science
- Data analytics
- Data science
How to Apply?
Applicants need to apply online through the Scholarship America site.
The most recent transcript of grades. Please do not submit grade reports. The transcript should include the name of the student, school name, credit hours for every course, grades and the term during which the course has been taken.
NOTE Canadian and US students: If your high school transcript does not include scores from the ACT or SAT tests, a copy of your test scores will need to be uploaded separately. You do not need to upload those scores if you are uploading a transcript.
Please include any professional test results you have, including, but not limited to, the results from the IFoA, ASSA, and SOA CAS, you should include them too.
All required materials must be submitted electronically for your application to be complete.
The last date of submission of the application is 28 April 2023, 3:00 pm CT.
For any help or queries, please feel free to reach out to Milliman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone: 507 931 1682
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/