Netwerk24 is an Afrikaans news platform associated with Media24, one of South Africa’s leading online subscription news services. With nearly 100,000 digital subscribers, Media24 provides nationwide coverage through its multiple offices situated in Cape Town, Pretoria, Johannesburg, Gqeberha, and Bloemfontein. Netwerk24 boasts a diverse team of journalists who cover various regions, including the Northern and Southern Cape, North West, and Limpopo. Renowned daily newspapers like Beeld, Volksblad, and Die Burger are among those served by the editors of Netwerk24 and Media24. Additionally, Netwerk24 serves as the digital home for the Sunday newspaper Rapport and several community newspapers.
In addition to the news service, online subscribers of Netwerk24 and Media24 have access to a range of digital magazines, including Tuis, Sarie, Kuier, Huisgenoot, Baby & Toddler, and Weg! Drive & Drag.
Netwerk24 Scholarship South Africa 2023 – 2024
Netwerk24 has announced an invitation for students to apply for their scholarship programme, which is available for the academic years 2023 and 2024. These scholarships aim to support students who are interested in pursuing Journalism or Communication studies, both at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels, with a particular focus on those aspiring to build a career in Afrikaans digital journalism.
For the academic year 2023, Netwerk24 is offering two scholarships with a combined value of R300,000. These scholarships are as follows:
- Undergraduate Scholarship: This scholarship is intended for students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or diploma studies. It has a value of R130,000.
- Postgraduate Scholarship: This scholarship is available for students pursuing Honors or master’s degree studies. It carries a value of R170,000.
The same two scholarships will be available for the 2024 academic year, with a total value of R300,000. The scholarships offered are as follows:
- Undergraduate Scholarship: This scholarship is designated for students pursuing a Bachelor’s degree or diploma studies and is valued at R130,000.
- Postgraduate Scholarship: Intended for students pursuing Honors or master’s degree studies, this scholarship carries a value of R170,000.
Netwerk24’s selection panel will carefully review all submitted applications and shortlist candidates who meet the criteria. The selection process will involve evaluating candidates’ language skills, news sense, communication abilities, and general knowledge. Following the assessment, the panel will inform the selected scholarship recipients after conducting interviews.
Upon graduation, the scholars will be expected to undertake an internship within Netwerk24’s editorial departments, which will not exceed one year in duration. Subsequently, the scholars will be required to fulfil a fixed-term contract for an additional year.
Before applying, applicants must meet the following entry requirements. It is important to note that failure to satisfy all the requirements will result in the application being ineligible for consideration:
- Completion of Matric
- For undergraduate students, being in the final year of studies towards a Bachelor’s Degree or Diploma, with a preference for Journalism or Communication studies.
- For postgraduate students, the completion of an Honors or Masters’s Degree, preferably in Journalism or Communication studies.
- Commitment to work in Afrikaans.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Excellent news sense
- Excellent language skills.
- Sound general knowledge.
How to Apply?
There is no application form to fill out and submit for the Netwerk24 Scholarship programme. So, to apply, the applicants need to submit the required documents at the email address below.
You must submit your application through email at the email Id: email@example.com
In the email subject line, please mention the scholarship name you are applying for along with your academic year (for example, the final year 2023)
Students who fulfill all of the above requirements need to submit authentic copies of the following documentation when applying. It is mandatory to include all these documents; failure to do so may result in disqualification of your application:
- Certified copy of your ID document
- Certified copy of your matriculation certificate
- Your driving license (if it’s applicable)
- Your most recent academic record (on the letterhead of the institution)
- Your latest CV
- A motivational letter (in not more than 500 words) defines why you are interested in journalism and how and in which areas you could contribute.
- Optional multimedia component (up to a maximum duration of 1 minute) (considered beneficial)
The application deadline is 26 June 2023. The specified deadline is applicable to both applications for the academic years 2023 and 2024.
For any questions related to the Netwerk24 Scholarship programme, you can reach out to Netwerk24 directly.
Contact No.: 087 353 1300
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/