About Old Mutual Education Trust
Old Mutual established the Old Mutual Education Trust (OMET) in April 2005 as part of a BBBEE transaction with ten unions with which it does business.
Each year, the Old Mutual Education Trust offers a maximum of 60 scholarships, with the ultimate selection depending on academic performance.
All participating union members and their dependents are eligible for the scholarship. This enables students to pursue tertiary qualifications at one of South Africa’s public higher education institutions. OMET also helps its students’ personal, academic, and professional success by offering computers, tutoring, access to counselling services, and job preparation.
Old Mutual Education Trust Bursary 2024
The Old Mutual Education Trust Bursary for the upcoming academic year will cover first-year undergraduate studies in ANY subject (including diploma, certificate, and first-degree level qualifications).
The bursary will pay for all your tuition costs, a book allowance, necessary housing in a university residence, meals, and one round-trip travel home each year if you’re studying away from home.
Additionally, recipients of bursaries will have the chance to participate in vacation jobs during academic breaks and will also get mentoring and training.
The bursary has participating trade unions, which include:
- Democratic Nursing Organisation of South Africa (DENOSA)
- South African Chemical Workers Union (SACWU)
- National Union of Mineworkers (NUM)
- Professional Educators Union (PEU)
- Police and Prisons Civil Rights Union (POPCRU)
- South African Catering Commercial Allied Workers Union (SACCAWU)
- South African Democratic Teachers Union (SADTU)
- SASBO The Finance Union
- National Teachers Union (NATU)
- National Education Health and Allied Workers Union(NEHAWU)
Eligibility Criteria For The Bursary
The following admission conditions must be met by interested applicants in order to be considered for the Old Mutual Education Trust Bursary year. Please be advised that if you don’t complete all of them, your application will not be considered.
To following criteria must be met to be eligible for this bursary:
- You must be a citizen of South Africa.
- You must have completed or be actively about to matriculate.
- You must intend to enroll in a recognized public university in South Africa.
- You work full-time and on a permanent basis for one of the trade unions mentioned above.
- You are an under-25-year-old dependent child of a permanent full-time member of one of the trade unions mentioned above.
- You must currently be enrolled in your first undergraduate degree program.
- You must be the legally recognized spouse of a paid-up member of one of the trade unions listed above.
How to Apply For The Bursary?
You may apply for this bursary online through: Old Mutual Education Trust (OMET) Bursary Application.
All fields have to be filled correctly, and the provision of supporting documents which must be sent in clear copies together with your online application is necessary.
Note: the application form works best in Microsoft Edge or Google Chrome browser.
The following relevant documents must be submitted with the application form by candidates who are qualified to apply for this Bursary for the academic year. Applications that do not include the required documentation will be rejected and not be considered for the bursary program.
- ID document (certified copy)
- Your final Grade 11 results and your mid-year Grade 12 results, if you are currently in Grade 12, Grade 11 final results and Matric mid-year results, if you’re currently in Matric.
- ID document of union member (certified copy)
- Union membership or employee identification number (for main union employee or members)
- If you are presently a student in a public university in South Africa, your most recent mid-year academic results from the previous academic year and your most recent year-end academic results are required.
Closing Date Of The Bursary
The application deadline is 31 August 2023. Please submit your application before this date to ensure consideration. Applications received after this date won’t be taken into consideration.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
If you have any queries or you need information about the bursary program, please get in touch with Old Mutual directly.
Names of the contact people: Thokozile Likhetsi/ Nosipho Khumalo
Email ID: Ometapplications@oldmutual.com
Phone numbers: 073 683 3009/ 067 125 1404
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: http://allbursaries.co.za/notice/