The OWLAG (Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls) is a boarding school founded by Oprah Winfrey – a popular American media mogul, producer, actress, and philanthropist. Located on the campus of Henley-on-Klip (about an hour’s drive from Johannesburg) South Africa, this school was founded in 2007 with 150 girls as an inaugural class, which has now grown up to 300 girls enrolled in Grades 8 – 12.
The main objective of OWLAG is to provide top-class quality education along with leadership training to academically talented South African girls who come from less privileged family backgrounds. OWLAG takes an innovative approach to provide academic excellence, state-of-the-art facilities, community service, and a variety of leadership opportunities to hone students’ skillset and prepare them for a bright future.
The school teaches IB MYP (International Baccalaureate Middle Years Program) in Grades 8 – 10. On the other hand, Grade 12 students take on IEB (Independent Examination Board) studies.
Apart from this, the academy also facilities students with a bunch of extracurricular activities and mentoring from role models with regard to life skills such as health education and financial knowledge.
OWLAG Scholarship 2023
OWLAG invites students toward Scholarship Applications for 2023 – 2024, which are to be submitted to AFRIZAN PEOPLE INTELLIGENCE – an agency appointed by the OWLAG Academy to offer learner recruitment services for them.
AFRIZAN – a renowned equity staffing and recruitment services provider, has 30+ years of experience and expertise in recruitment to deliver consistent results to its corporate clients.
Successful students will be able to attend the Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy for Girls in Gauteng. The OWLAG Scholarship program aims to fund education for successful students to help them become future community leaders.
OWLAG admits students of any national, color, race, or ethnic origin to all the programs, rights, activities and privileges accorded to students at the academy. There is no discrimination based on ethnicity, race, color, and national origin in the administration of OWLAG’s scholarship programs, educational policies, admission policies, and all other academic programs.
Note: On the assessment day, parents will need to complete a consent form. Parents may complete an affidavit for a third party to sign the consent form. Students must arrive in school uniform on the testing day and pack a full lunch.
Eligibility Criteria for The Scholarship
To be eligible for the OWLAG Scholarship 2024, students must fulfill the following criteria:
- Candidate must be a South African citizen.
- Students must have achieved 70% and above for both Mathematics and English in the final report of 2022.
- Students must be in Grade 7 in 2023 and going into Grade 8 in 2024, OR in Grade 8 in 2023 and going into Grade 9 in 2024
- Their combined household income is not more than R10,000 per month (before deductions)
- Application forms must be completed and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
How To Apply for The Scholarship?
Requests for the application form for OWLAG Scholarship 2023-2024 intakes must be directed to email@example.com
Students must submit the applications via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday 31st March 2023. Add “OWLAG Scholarship 2024” in the email Subject line.
You must submit all the required documents listed below, along with the application form.
- Certified copy of the Unabridged Birth Certificate
- SASSA Grant confirmation letter (if applicable)
- ID photo
- 2022 Term 4/Final report (clearly showing all 4 terms)
- Certified ID documents of both parents (or legal guardian(s))
- Proof of residence- Municipal Account or Account Statement
- Death Certificates, if parents or legal guardians have passed away
- Divorce decree with maintenance order, if parents or guardians are divorced
- If applicable, proof of adoption/change of guardianship
- Parents/Guardians Proof of Income:
- If unemployed, an affidavit confirming unemployment and a recent 3-month Bank Statement
- If employed, recent 3-month salary slips and recent 3-month bank statement
- If self-employed, SARS Letter or recent cash flow statement and recent 3-month bank statement
- If on pension, confirmation of monthly pension amount
Note: Applicants must enclose information for each person in the household that is unemployed, employed, or self-employed.
Closing Date of The Scholarship
The closing date for OWLAG Scholarship Applications is 31 March 2023.
(Note: The application form states the provisional closing date as 12 April 2023 for additional applications, in case OWLAG does not reach its assessment quota.)
If you do not get any response from the Academy by 30th March 2023, consider your application rejected.
Mere application to this scholarship does not guarantee placement. Hence legal guardians must ensure they have reserved a school for the child.
For any queries, applicants can contact at:
Johannesburg Tel: +27 (0)11 884 8010
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/