About SA-GER Centre for Development Research
The South African-German Centre for Development Research aims to produce future-proof leaders who can stand up to the social, economic, and political challenges brought on by the development process. The Centre offers research-oriented programmes that come from the fields of social science (e.g. political science, macroeconomics) administrative science and economics.
SA-GER Centre for Development Research Scholarships
Suitably qualified students in the Sub-Saharan region are invited to submit their application to receive scholarship assistance in pursuit of their master’s degree study in any of the following fields:
- MA in Public Administration
- MA in Development Studies
- MA in Development Management (Bochum Programme)
Beneficiaries are set to receive a 650-Euro monthly allowance and will have access to other scholarship benefits such as tuition and registration fee coverage.
Scholarship Requirements and Eligibility
For MA in Public Administration and Development Studies applicants:
- Applicants are expected to thoroughly review the specific admission requirements as well as the application procedures of their chosen programme
- Must be a resident of any Sub-Saharan country
- Must have attained nothing lower than 70% in most recently completed degree (within the last six years)
- Previous study must be relevant to Public Administration or Development Studies and completed at a well-known university
- South African applicants will need to possess an honours qualification to apply
- Demonstrated proficiency in written and spoken English
- Preferably with work or voluntary background in their field of interest
- Must be available for full-time study
For MA in Development Management applicants:
- Holds a Bachelor’s degree qualification in social science, political science, geography, economics, law, or any other qualification relevant to development programme evaluation and planning
- Certified background in, or relevant to development programmes/projects management for over one month, or teaching and research obtained from an institution of higher learning
- Minimum TOEFL proficiency of 79-180 iBT or 213 CBT, or IELTS Band 6.0
* RELATED BURSARIES *
- View our other currently open Engineering Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Geology Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Government Bursaries and Scholarships here.
- View our other currently open Bursaries and Scholarships OPEN for application here.
How to Apply and Application Details
Eligible applicants who wish to apply will need to fill out an online application form. Be sure to have the following support documents ready before completing the application form. Keep in mind that the online application form can only be submitted once, so be certain it is complete before submitting.
For MA in Public Administration and Development Studies applicant:
- Application letter highlighting the candidate’s motivation for applying
- Copy of valid passport
- A comprehensive CV showing work history as an employee or intern (Be sure to use a Europass CV form)
- Copy of academic records from the most recent university attended
- Certified copy of academic certificates ( if graduation comes after the application deadline, submit a letter from concerned authorities confirming the applicant’s graduation by the end of the upcoming year.
- Academic reference, as well as a professional reference (if applicable). Referees may send their reference separately with the applicant’s name to firstname.lastname@example.org
- A one-page report paper (in e-form) talking about any of the three topics below
- Write critical notes on how inequality can be measured. What do you think are the root causes of inequality in your country?
- What do you see as the possibilities for a successful Developmental State model in any African country of your choice?
- What are the primary causes of migration and how can it be resolved?
Note: All essay submissions will be checked for plagiarism and any application found to contain plagiarized content will not be accepted.
Shortlisted applicants will receive an interview invitation which will take place six to eight weeks after the application deadline. Interviews will be done either on-site, over the phone, or via Skype.
For MA in Development Management applicants:
- Letter of motivation. (Note: If you’re not sure how to write an effective motivation letter for a bursary, check out this article for motivation letter writing guidance)
- CV using a europass template. Access and fill out the form here
- Submit the following certificates:
- University certificates indicating academic title received, as well as single marks achieved (full academic transcript)
- Language certificates that indicate the level of English (and German, if applicable) proficiency at the time of application
- Proof of current or previous employment or other relevant work experience
- Passport photo
- Copy of ID card or passport
- Two recommendation letters (professional and academic)
Eligible applicants will need access to the University’s online application platform to apply for the scholarship.
IMPORTANT: Be sure to read the MA in Development Management application guidelines before applying.
Currently closed for application. Please check back later for the updated opening and closing date of this bursary.
MA in Public Administration
MA in Development Studies
Institute for Social Development
University of the Western Cape
Private Bag X17, Bellville
7535Cape Town, Republic of South Africa
Tel: 002721 959 3845
MA in Development Management
Dr. Anne Siebert
Tel: +49 (0)234 / 32-19024
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/