The South African Actuaries Development Programme was established in 2003 and is an independent, non-profit organisation. It was founded to tackle the problem of the lack of black actuarial skills in the economy of South Africa.
The First Rand Foundation, Deloitte, Discovery, Insight, Sasria SOC Limited, Bankseta, and INSETA are a few of the sponsors of the programme. Proudly South African, Excellence, Integrity, Professionalism, Transparency, Gender-agnostic, Supportive, and Nurturing are among the company’s key values.
South African Actuaries Development Program (SAADP) Bursary 2023
SAADP is providing an opportunity for students to apply for the bursary programme for the upcoming academic year of 2023. The bursary will be given in the field of Actuarial Science in any of the partner universities (WITS, UCT or UP).
The bursary provides the following benefits:
- Cost of tuition.
- Allowance for study material.
- Cost of accommodation.
- Food allowance.
- Allowance for living expenses.
- Mentorship programmes for students where senior students give guidance to junior students.
- Programme for developing life skills like CV writing, interviews, time management etc,)
- Tutorials and extra classes.
- Work for vacation.
- Actuarial seminars are conducted by graduates and qualified actuaries who share their experiences.
- Sessions for exam preparation.
The selection for the bursary will be done in four steps as given below:
- Pre-screening: All the applications are screened to check the basic eligibility criteria and documents. Only the applications submitted before the deadline with all the documents will pass this step.
- Short Listing: An external committee of Students’ Selection and Monitoring submits a list of shortlisted candidates to SAADP. The shortlisted candidates will be contacted by 28 February 2023.
- Submission of Statements of results: Matric students will submit their matric results and if the candidate fails to do so, they will be disqualified.
- Selection interviews: The shortlisted candidate will be invited for an interview which is conducted under SSMC. Successful candidates will be informed after the interview.
Eligibility Criteria For The SAADP Bursary
The candidate must check the eligibility criteria before applying for the scholarship programme. There should not be an exception to the criteria or the application will not be considered.
For Matric/Grade 12 candidates:
- The candidate must hold South African citizenship.
- The candidates must be doing Matric presently.
- The candidate must have a minimum score of 80% in the following subjects in Matric
- Physical Science
- The candidate must plan on pursuing Actuarial Science in 2023.
- The candidate must have applied to any one or all three of the partner universities.
- University of Cape Town
- University of Pretoria
- University of the Witwatersrand
- The candidates from commercial streams must apply for Actuarial Science at UCT.
For University students:
- The candidate must hold South African Citizenship.
- The candidate must come from a previously underprivileged background.
- The candidate must be currently pursuing a qualification in Actuarial Science.
- The candidate must have extraordinary academic results in all the years of the degree.
- The candidate must be studying at any of the partner universities mentioned above.
How to Apply?
Download and complete the SAADP Bursary Application Form 2022 (.pdf)
After completing the form with all the necessary documents attached, the allocation must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
All the mentioned documents must be attached with the application form. If any document is missing or false, the application will not be considered.
For Matric/grade 12 applicants:
- Certified copy of ID documents.
- Certified copy of Final report of Grade 12.
- Certified copy of Final Matric result.
- Certified copy of the final statement of results/NSC certificate.
- Proof of acceptance or admission letter to one of the partner universities.
- Two essays on the application form
- First: About you and your academic accomplishments, leadership qualities and what is your participation in the community.
- Second: Five or more than five reasons why you chose to be an actuary.
- Affidavit or Death certificate of parents, if deceased.
- Divorcee certificate of parents p, if divorced.
For university students:
- Certified copy of ID documents or both sides of ID card.
- Academic records and transcripts with the latest results.
- Proof of income of parents (payslips for employed, affidavit of self-employed or unemployed).
- Affidavit or Death certificate of parents, if deceased.
- Divorce certificate of parents, if divorced.
Closing Date Of The Bursary
The applications will be closed on 31 August 2022. Interested candidates must apply before the deadline to avoid rejection.
Contact Details Of The Bursar
Candidates can contact the bursary provider directly for any queries regarding the bursary:
Telephone: 011 642 2202
Fax: 011 486 1859/ 086 635 2372
Email at email@example.com
Candidates can also contact the SAADP office at any of the partner universities:
University of the Witwatersrand:
Telephone: 011 717 6296
Physical Address: West Campus, 2nd Floor, School of Actuarial Science, T. W. Kambule Mathematical Building
University of Pretoria:
Telephone: 012 420 6664
Physical Address: Corner of Lynnwood Road and Roper Street, Hatfield Campus, Department of Actuarial Science, Office 1 -19 Mathematics Building, 1st Floor
University of Cape Town:
Students must enquire with the SAADP since they do not have a full-time Programme Manager.
Tel: 021 650 5114
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/