About the SANBI (South African National Biodiversity Institute)
The SANBI (South African National Biodiversity Institute) mainly contributes to South Africa’s sustainable development, ecosystem rehabilitation, and management of biodiversity resources. SANBI’s main objective is to execute research and decimation of information related to biodiversity. SANBI also manages the administrative and logistical operations of the Scientific Authority and ensures its proper functioning by offering solid technical support. Besides, SANBI plays a vital role in scientific coordination as well.
The Scientific Authority was founded in 2004 with reference to National Environmental Management’s Section 60- Biodiversity Act of 2004 (NEMBA) to help the government with trade regulation in specimens of TOPS (Threatened or Protected Species) and other species listed in the Appendices to CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora).
SANBI ensures South Africa’s National Botanical and Zoological gardens function properly and feature enhanced biodiversity to aid education as well as entertainment goals.
SANBI MSc Bursary 2023
SANBI invites postgraduate students with a keen interest in the conservation of the country’s biodiversity to apply for their MSc Bursary to study from April 2023 up to April 2025. It offers a research project where the candidate is expected to derive information needed to compose Scientific Authority’s non-detriment findings in relation to one of the plant species included in CITES, as follows:
- Aloe peglerae
- Euphorbia flanaganii
- Euphorbia obesa
- Euphorbia stellata
- Euphorbia groenewaldii
- Stangeria eriopus
The selected candidate is expected to meet with a suitable supervisor at a South African University and register at the same university before 31st March 2023. SANBI will cover this project’s operational costs and provide a co-supervisor.
The bursary will cover living expenses and university fees for 2 years to the value of R150,000 per annum.
Candidates applying for the SANBI MSc Bursary 2023 must abide by the following criteria. Failure to fulfil any of the minimum eligibility criteria listed above will cause your application to be rejected.
- Can be a South African citizen or a non-citizen
- Must intend to study for the MSc degree and take on the research project for one of the CITES-listed plant species, as mentioned above
- Must register or intend to register at an accredited South African University before 31 March 2023
How to apply?
Download and complete the application cover sheet: SANBI MSc Bursary Application Cover Sheet 2023
Candidate must complete the above application cover sheet and submit it via email along with the required documents mentioned below to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com with the Subject line: Scientific Authority MSc Bursary (Priority plant project).
The candidate must convince SANBI in his/her letter of interest why they’re eligible and apt to be awarded the bursary.
Here’s the list of documents required for SANBI MSc Bursary 2023:
- Letter of Interest (motivating SANBI as to why you deserve the bursary)
- Full CV (Curriculum Vitae)
- Two reference letters (one letter must be from an academic supervisor)
- Certified copy of academic records
- Certified copy of highest qualification (certified translation, if needed)
- Certified copy of ID (or certified copy of passport if not a South African resident)
Things to keep in mind:
- If any of the documents are missing, your application may be disqualified
- Name each document clearly
- Better if you submit the required documents along with the completed application cover sheet as a single PDF file to firstname.lastname@example.org AND email@example.com
- Email size must less than 9MB.
- Email subject line must be: Scientific Authority MSc Bursary (Priority plant project)
The closing date for applications for the SANBI MSc Bursary 2023 is 22 March 2023 (by 09.00).
SANBI will contact the chosen candidate within 30 days of the closing date- if you do not receive any response within this time period, please regard your application as unsuccessful.
For any queries related to the bursary programme, applicants can directly contact SANBI at:
Name of the contact person: Tasneem Variawa (SANBI)
Tel: +27 (0)12 843 5188
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/