SANParks (South African National Parks) was founded in line with National Environmental Management: Protected Areas Act, 2003 (Act No 57 of 2003). The main objective of SANParks is to look after the conservation of landscapes, biodiversity, and all the related heritage assets of South Africa through a national park system.
SANParks manages an entire system of 19 functional National Parks across 7 of the 9 provinces within South Africa. These cover a total area of more than 4 million hectares contributing 67% of the protected areas under state management. Today, SANParks is one of the prominent leaders globally in conservation and protected area management.
Consistently, SANParks wishes to create a positive trajectory towards excellent tourism estate and conservation management to reconnect South African people as well as the world.
SANParks also ensures South African people and communities get involved in various biodiversity initiatives to achieve socioeconomic and educational advantages.
One of the critical strategies of SANParks is to provide access, promote community support, and share benefits for local communities. This is why SANParks has initiated their Bursary Programme 2024, which aims to benefit learners from local communities neighbouring National Parks.
SANParks Bursary 2024
SANParks (South African National Parks) is inviting applications from aspiring youth for their external bursary programme. The bursary is open to young talent entering their first year of an undergraduate degree in the academic year 2024.
The field of study applied for must be for full-time national diploma or degree in the following fields, but is not limited to only these:
- Social Sciences
- Youth Development
- Environmental Sciences, including Environmental Management, Nature Conservation, and Game ranch management
- Community Development and Development studies
- Hospitality Management/Tourism studies
- During the selection process, SANParks will consider the applicant’s academic merit. It will give preference to the participation of women, designated groups, and people with disabilities.
- Committing to the principles of Employment Equity, SANParks will give preference to PDI/HDSA.
Applicants willing to apply for SANParks Bursary must abide by the following criteria:
- Applicant must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must be students from communities living near National Parks as defined in their management plans
- Must opt for full-time study towards an academic diploma/degree at an accredited South African University/college/University of Technology.
- You must be entering the post-matric study in 2024
- Must be aged between 18 to 35
- The bursary is open to learners pursuing a qualification in a TVET college.
- Proof of application and admission to an accredited and renowned institution of Higher Education is a Must.
- Students currently registered at a Higher Education Institution must have a 100% pass rate (must have passed all the courses that they’ve registered for the completed period).
How to Apply?
If SANParks does not contact you by 30 January 2024, consider your application unsuccessful.
Applicants willing to apply for the SANParks Bursary must attach the following documents along with their application form:
- A detailed, updated CV
- Certified copy of the ID document
- Certified copy of the latest academic record
- Proof of residential address
- Acceptance letter from an accredited/registered Higher Education public institution (University of Technology or University TVET)
- Motivation letter explaining the reasons to apply for the SANParks bursary as well as the field of study you have applied for.
- If receiving a social grant, attach an affidavit that shows your income is less than the threshold.
Missing or incomplete documents will result in your application being rejected.
The application deadline is 17 August 2023.
For any queries related to SANParks Bursary 2024, contact:
Tel: 012 426 5166
Please do not send any questions after the closing date. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application here: https://allbursaries.co.za/notice/