SARAO stands for South African Radio Astronomy Observatory, a facility of the National Research Foundation which is responsible for managing radio astronomy facilities and initiatives in South Africa. SARAO manages MeerKAT Radio Telescope, Geodesy, and VLBI activities in Karoo and HartRAO facilities, respectively.
SARAO is actively working to boost the country’s investment in radio astronomy. Several programs are managed by SARAO to develop an interest in radio astronomy in the hearts of the South African youth.
SARAO Postdoctoral Fellowship for 2024
SARAO is inviting students for their postdoctoral fellowship in the upcoming academic year.
The postdoctoral fellowship will be awarded for three years, and the renewal of the fellowship is solely based upon the discretion of SARAO. SARAO will approve the renewal of the fellowship each year by analyzing the performance of the candidates through the Annual Progress Reports.
The postdoctoral fellowship grant for 2024 is R447,000. R47,000 travel grant and R72,000 equipment grant are supplemented as well. The travel grant will cover accommodation and subsistence. SARAO is responsible for the sole approval of the travel and equipment grant requests.
There is a list of hosts available for postdoctoral fellowships; applications can research in-depth to understand who suits best of their interests. Research fellows need to acknowledge the financial assistance of SARAO provided in each of their published works during their tenure.
SARAO holds the sole authority over any decisions pertaining to the Postdoctoral Fellowship. Check the SARAO Postdoctoral Fellowships Application Guide to understand the conditions in detail.
You have to meet the following criteria to be considered eligible for the fellowship.
- The candidate must be a citizen of South Africa.
- The applicant must be active in research after achieving a doctoral degree. If there is a break, then the applicant must have received the degree on or after 30 September 2019.
- The selected candidates should start with their postdoctoral fellowship before or on 1st October 2024.
- The applicant must pursue their postdoctoral fellowship in an accredited and recognized University of South Africa.
- Priority will be given to project proposals directly related to MeerKAT.
- Candidates will not be allowed to complete any full-time employment during the tenure but can participate in 12-hour assistance, tutorial, teaching, or demonstration work per week.
How To Apply?
To apply for the SARAO Postdoctoral Fellowship, fill out the online application form: SARAO Postdoctoral Fellowship for 2024
Shortlisted candidates will be informed prior to 15th December 2023.
You have to submit the following documents during the application
- Certified copy of ID document
- Registration proof, preferably on the Institute’s letterhead
- Proof of employment
- Research project proposals or documents and papers pertaining to the project (if ongoing).
The closing date for application is 31 August 2023. However, the internal closing date for the SARAO Postdoctoral Fellowship will be decided by the participating university. Candidates wishing to participate in the fellowship have to remain abreast with the latest information provided by the University.
To solve any queries regarding the fellowship, contact
Dr. Mthuthuzeli Zamxaka
Telephone: +27 11 268 3424